Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver pattern mill

Oliver pattern mill

Stupid convienet on line auctions. I found an outboard tool stand for an Oliver lathe I have been looking for, for a few years. I knew i was buying that and would have to drive 3 hours anyway, so I took pity on a poor machine. Actually I was more interested in the lot after it, which was the original cabinet full of original tooling.

Any way, I present one Oliver 103 universal pattern mill, plus its original cabinet full of tooling. IMG_20191022_202953_277.jpg

Screenshot_20191022-204349_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191022-205523_Chrome.jpg

IMG_20191022_202953_282.jpg

Darcy, a sweet old machine as usual.

At first I thought pin router but it has a chuck not a collet and the table moves. What was this made to do? Is that insert tooling?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Darcy, a sweet old machine as usual.

At first I thought pin router but it has a chuck not a collet and the table moves. What was this made to do? Is that insert tooling?
    Milling patterns, honestly, you were limited by your skill an imagination.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=299

Thanks. Amazing examples in the manual - now all you need your own foundry.

Great score on all the tooling. I sure there are some things in there that will inspire some creative projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    Great score on all the tooling. I sure there are some things in there that will inspire some creative projects.
    The tooling was to blame for the entire ordeal. Lol.
    I am a sucker for something that is so complete.
    Its definitely a use your imagination type machine.
    I won't be able to mess with it for at least 6 months though.

Sounds like torture to have to wait 6 months to play with that thing.

Its home, just need to swing by the shop an unload it in a little bit. I am not sure how it worked out, but we managed to get it loaded with a forklift that was a bit small with forks that were too short, 42". Couple nice planks, my solid round bar, chain and two fat guys got it on my gooseneck.

Blog Entries
    Curious to see what kind of shape the table is in under that hunk a' junk that's on there now. I assume it was common to put some kind of wooden table on that but the original machine table looks huge enough to be used with studs (it seems to be tapped with holes in the booklet) and step clamps.

Nice big boxed X-travel ways, giant rotary table, assuming high speed spindle....what's not to like.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Curious to see what kind of shape the table is in under that hunk a' junk that's on there now. I assume it was common to put some kind of wooden table on that but the original machine table looks huge enough to be used with studs (it seems to be tapped with holes in the booklet) and step clamps.

Nice big boxed X-travel ways, giant rotary table, assuming high speed spindle....what's not to like.
    I tried taking it off when I got there, but it wouldn't budge even using a forklift. Lol. Hopefully I can save it, it would probably be handy to have eventually, in like 20 years or so.

And its finally fully functional. Don't really care about its appearance, it has a specific job I need it to do.

IMG_20200208_133636_128.jpg

Quick crappy video.
    https://youtu.be/UY7VCiaAtyA

That thing is massive, and awesome. What’s your plan for it now that you’ve got it functional?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That thing is massive, and awesome. What’s your plan for it now that you’ve got it functional?
    First thing is to crown bandsaw tires.

It's the middle sized one, the 102 is massive.

Blog Entries
    I could find a use for one of those.