Thread: Outdoor Bench

Outdoor Bench

Had a lot of discarded lumber left from my bench build. Decided to turn them into an outdoor bench. Table saw and miter saw were used for rough dimensioning. Hand jointed all boards and used planer to get to thickness. Re-flattened the planned faces - and - if only you could see my happiness on seeing the stack of boards stick with each other with hand pressure. This was a big big pain when I did my bench.

Flattened and planned the faces of slabs using hand planes this time instead of struggling to feed the slab through planer. Squaring the end grain part of slab was a pain.

Legs and back fit into mortise in slabs. After initial hand chiseling, I ended up with a un-flat mortise bottom. Used a router plane to make it level but failed. It kept tearing the wood. Gave up and used a powered router to fix it and then used epoxy + screws for strength and gap filling. Rounded the edges with router. Finished with Penofin. Added .25" plastic sheet attached to legs to prevent ground contact.

Overall, happy with how it came out. Except back, most parts are roughly 3" thick. Back ended up 2" thick. This made the bench heavy. Getting it off my workbench gave me and my wife a good workout.

Some pictures:

IMG_20191005_131142.jpg

MVIMG_20191006_195042.jpg

IMG_20191005_131054.jpg

IMG_20191005_131031.jpg

IMG_20191005_130958.jpg

Very nice!!! Goes perfect in your well manicured yard.
    Chris

Looks great!
    Also looks like it could be an extra workbench in a pinch!

Very nice. Unless you want to see that finish degrade and turn gray I would buy a cover for it and keep it covered except when you want to use it. Been there, done that. Penofin won't last more than a few months.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    Thank you!
    Yard is Dad's hardwork.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Very nice. Unless you want to see that finish degrade and turn gray I would buy a cover for it and keep it covered except when you want to use it. Been there, done that. Penofin won't last more than a few months.

John
    Thank you!

I have tarp a cover. Will keep it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Champagne View Post
    Looks great!
    Also looks like it could be an extra workbench in a pinch!
    Thank you!

Yup except the sitting slab can serve as a bench top. Probably my kid will start using it as that soon.

Benches are usually benches, even when done well, but this one catches the eye Anuj. I like the way the back support looks along with the beefy seat. Good stuff.
    David

The proportions are nice and well suited for the setting. Don't need to worry about the wind carrying it away. Good work and thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Benches are usually benches, even when done well, but this one catches the eye Anuj. I like the way the back support looks along with the beefy seat. Good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    The proportions are nice and well suited for the setting. Don't need to worry about the wind carrying it away. Good work and thanks for sharing.
    Thank you!

I'm with the others! The strength and the proportions work well together. Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I'm with the others! The strength and the proportions work well together. Nicely done Sir!
    Thank you!

Anuj, that might be the nicest outdoor bench I have seen. Beautiful lines and proportions. Well done sir.

Agree with all. I think thick seats are harder to keep together than thinner ones, I'd keep it covered. When I made my
    beech bench top from air dried stuff I used a shaper to cut a shallow groove in the center of each board ,I think that has
    helped keep it together. You have a beautiful place there.