Thread: Variable Speed Vertical Bandsaw - Wood and Metal?

Variable Speed Vertical Bandsaw - Wood and Metal?

Since a lot of my hobby work involves wood and metal I was thinking of getting a variable speed vertical bandsaw. There's no question that on the metal side it would suit my needs but I'm concerned that it might be limiting in re-sawing wood, which I do occasionally. Anyone with experience in this situation? Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Since a lot of my hobby work involves wood and metal I was thinking of getting a variable speed vertical bandsaw. There's no question that on the metal side it would suit my needs but I'm concerned that it might be limiting in re-sawing wood, which I do occasionally. Anyone with experience in this situation? Suggestions?
    Hi Steve,
    I own two of the Grizzly G0640x type vertical band saws and I think they are great! I originally purchased these because of that metal/wood speed feature. I currently have one set up for metal with a 1/2" 14/18 tooth variable pitch blade. I had a narrow 1/4" blade on the other for profile work with cutting some aluminum, but have recently installed a Wood Slicer blade to do some resawing. These are excellent quality Taiwan built machines that I would highly recommend.
    David

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...r-Motor/G0640X

There is no question that having the utility for cutting both wood and metal can be very attractive. But there is also the downside...metal cutting's "mess" isn't the best thing for wood. IE, metal shavings, cutting lubricants from when those times when they are needed, etc., can truly be nasty on wood and completely cleaning them away can be a challenge. Just keep this in mind if you intend to move forward. If you are only using soft metals like brass and aluminum, it's not so bad, but if ferrous metal is involved, it's a consideration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is no question that having the utility for cutting both wood and metal can be very attractive. But there is also the downside...metal cutting's "mess" isn't the best thing for wood. IE, metal shavings, cutting lubricants from when those times when they are needed, etc., can truly be nasty on wood and completely cleaning them away can be a challenge. Just keep this in mind if you intend to move forward. If you are only using soft metals like brass and aluminum, it's not so bad, but if ferrous metal is involved, it's a consideration.
    Good points Jim, the space saving advantage could easily be outweighed by the inconvenience of the cleanup between operations. Although I have a fairly large home shop (over 2400 sq. ft.) my metal and woodworking efforts constantly compete for floor space. Recent metal work has brought about a need for more efficient metal cutting besides than an abrasive saw and portable bandsaw. It would be nice to have horizontal and vertical bandsaws for metals and another vertical bandsaw for woods but it would be too cumbersome. Maybe I can squeeze in a vertical bandsaw for wood and a horizontal bandsaw for metal that allows it to be used in the vertical position. Anyone facing these problems?

A lot of folks who do both wood and metal actually setup separate areas because of the "contamination" challenge as well as to isolate welding from wood if that's part of their operation. But folks gotta do what they gotta do. A "vertical" wood cutting band saw for that plus a "flexible" metal cutting bandsaw like you describe might be a good solution if you can work it out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A lot of folks who do both wood and metal actually setup separate areas because of the "contamination" challenge as well as to isolate welding from wood if that's part of their operation. But folks gotta do what they gotta do. A "vertical" wood cutting band saw for that plus a "flexible" metal cutting bandsaw like you describe might be a good solution if you can work it out.
    I do what Jim mentioned - I have a separate room in my shop for metal working. I have a separate drill press and a horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw in that room. I keep the coolant and cutting/tapping fluids needed with metal working far from the woodworking drills press and saws. I put double external doors in that room opening onto a concrete slab so I do things that make sparks outside if the weather cooperates, grinding, plasma cutting, and welding.