Thread: Bits Sticking in my Impact Driver

Bits Sticking in my Impact Driver

Not too long ago I replaced my ageing Makita LXT impact driver with a new one. The new one is much more powerful and has several fastening modes. But, I never stuck a bit in the old one (10 years old) and have stuck bits three times in my new one (6-8 months old). End up needing to use visegrips and a hammer to remove the bits.

Is this common? Do I need higher quality bits now?

Thanks

try a shot of wd-40

I've seen this on some bits. I think they may be a tad undersize, or perhaps too soft, and can twist enough to jam. If Bradley's suggestion doesn't work, I'd try a bit rated for use with an impact tool, all the major brands sell them.

My newest LXT driver was like that too. I just kept a T25 (the most used bit) in it, and used the old one for changing bits. The newer one finally loosened up after using it for a while. If it was the only one I had, I would have returned it.

Use impact rated bits

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I've seen this on some bits. I think they may be a tad undersize, or perhaps too soft, and can twist enough to jam. If Bradley's suggestion doesn't work, I'd try a bit rated for use with an impact tool, all the major brands sell them.
    This... Impact rated bits allow a little flex, while non-impact rated bits must dissipate the energy by deforming in some manner such as twisting or rounding over. Same principle as using impact sockets.
    Last edited by Randy Viellenave; 10-22-2019 at 5:43 PM. Reason: spelling

I've been experiencing this same issue, with an older Makita impact driver I have. Wasn't sure if it is the driver, or the bits that are causing the problem. It seems to mostly happen with a drill bit with a countersink, kind of aggravating!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Alison View Post
    I've been experiencing this same issue, with an older Makita impact driver I have. Wasn't sure if it is the driver, or the bits that are causing the problem. It seems to mostly happen with a drill bit with a countersink, kind of aggravating!!
    Drill bit in an impact driver? I consider that a fire-able offense.

We'd

I've this happen plenty of times with impact drivers of different makes. If you tap the end of the stuck bit abruptly on a hard surface, many times the shock of the impact can loosen the driver bit enough so that it comes out easily. If it's happening more than every once and a while, I'd consider sending it in under warranty to replace that part.
    That's just like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Drill bit in an impact driver? I consider that a fire-able offense.

We'd
    I've got to ask, why?

I've had that happen in my Dewalt Impact driver. I found if I reversed the driver the bit came out.

Thanks for the help. I ran out last night and picked up some Bosch impact rated bits. I drove a 3" deck screw into a 4x several times and the bit did not stick. Hopefully problem solved.

BTW - come to think of it I didn't use my old Makita impact driver much since it was too powerful and hard to control. My new one has 4-torque levels and a few auto modes and I use this thing all the time.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I had a bit stick in a dewalt driver but it was one that I sort of ground to fit and I didn't do a very good job. When I got the driver, I had some hex shank bits that were just straight hex with tiny dimples for some sort of chuck. I ground the recess into them and one stuck. I got rid of those bits and haven't had a problem since.