Thread: O.T. Bush Identification Help, Please...

O.T. Bush Identification Help, Please...

I've been trying to ID this bush that's been overgrowing in my front yard. We put it in years ago and for the life of me, I can't remember what is it or how to cut it back without killing it. If it helps, I live in Northern California, where the summers are hot and and winters are cold, but not freezing. Thanks for the help!

Derek,

If nobody here recognizes it, give UC Cooperative Extension a try - https://ucanr.edu/About/Locations/ . I'm pretty sure someone there can help you out.

It looks very much like a type of Lavendula (Lavender Goodwin Creek Gray shown below) that we had in our last home in the SF Bay area (Morgan Hill). I don't remember how we pruned it, but they weren't too delicate. They took direct full sun in the afternoons and endured an occasional frost during the winters but were quite hardy.

IMGP4571.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 10-23-2019 at 4:19 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks. Just found out it's a Sweet Pea Shrub or Petite Butterfly Bush. Like has been said, it's pretty hearty and should be able to be cut back by a 1/3 its size. Thanks again.

Derek - that is NOT a Pea Shrub (Baptisia), unless some people have another shrub they call by the same common name. Some people call Baptisia "False Indigo"

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Derek - that is NOT a Pea Shrub (Baptisia), unless some people have another shrub they call by the same common name. Some people call Baptisia "False Indigo"
    You're right. It's a Sweet Pea Shrub or Myrtle Leaf Milkwort. I ended up contacting the nursery, sent them a picture and they ID'd it for me. It's also called a Petite Butterfly and that's the name that I remembered.