Thread: (almost) Finished my knife cabinet

(almost) Finished my knife cabinet

I built this out of some African Mahogany I had sitting around. I only have a little bit left at this point.

This is wood left-over from when I built my computer desk, which I finished with Waterlox Original Sealer and Finish. Love that stuff, but, it takes a long time to cure.

Later, I built a small cabinet to hold a few things and I finished it with Shellac. It looks OK, but, it does not "pop" like my desk.

This time around, I started with BLO and then finished it with Garnet Shellac. I strongly prefer this to Shellac without the BLO.

I cut all of the joints by hand.

You can really tell where I joined two boards together since they look very different about 1/3 back from the front. Lesson learned there.

knife_cabinet_01.jpg knife_cabinet_02.jpg

I intend to store pocket knives (and other small things) in the drawers and the bottoms were rather smooth, so, I decided to put something down so that they would not slide.

I received some nice suggestions here:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....om-of-a-drawer

I purchased some self-adhesive cork sheets (4" x 4") https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and Gorilla Grip Drawer Liners https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will see which I prefer.

knife_cabinet_03.jpgknife_cabinet_04.jpg

I could have spent more time putting down the cork and made it fit perfectly. This is really not that difficult with the cork since it cuts so easily.

Andrew,

Very Nice!

What would you have done differently on jointing the two boards? Would you have joined the same board to itself so the grain would match?

Stew

Looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    What would you have done differently on jointing the two boards? Would you have joined the same board to itself so the grain would match?

Stew
    Yes. Especially on the side it is pretty clear that the grain does not match. The other side is fine, but it will be less visible. The top looks better than the side, but, it has a different grain pattern even if the coloring is fine.

I usually spend more time matching the faces rather than the sides.

Blog Entries
    Even with the mismatch it is still a nice looking cabinet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim.

I am always a bit nervous when I cut dovetails on something that wide....
    I will attache the back tonight and put it in place.... then I can load it up with stuff.

Why not line the drawers with felt?
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Looks Great.... I would like to see it with the knives.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

The cork looks better. In use there will be stuff on the top, hiding the grain issue.