Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Secret Finish

These last few posts have made me ponder a bit.

Other than that friction polish stuff (Mylands is the brand I'm familar with) which is mostly just shellac; is there a finish that is manufactured today that is specifically formulated for turning?

Or are we just the back water component of the finish puchasing demographic?
    Only the Blue Roads

John, I tried out some of your recipe today and it worked pretty good on a maple bowl I turned. Wife said it looked like a pearl. I just made a small batch and the parts weren't exact. Gonna try some more tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Andy,
    I don't think turners make up a big enough market for major finish manufacturers to formulate just for us. Besides, everyone has their own preference for exactly what ratios they use, and what finish material for what piece, depending on how it will be used or what it will be subjected to.
    Even "flatwork" woodworkers who are really serious about their work usually make up something themselves. I believe this is where wiping varnishes and polys made by Minwax and other companies came from. They saw a market for it, so they formulated and packaged it. But everyone knows you can make your own with 50/50 poly and thinner, or thereabouts.

>> But it had a new ingredient (Linseed Alkyd Resin)

You've been dazzled by the Minwax marketing department. "Linseed Alkyd Resin" is just a fancy way of saying varnish. Varnish is made by mixing alkyd resin and linseed oil and heating it to a high temperature in the absence of oxygen where the two combine into a new compound called VARNISH.

Minwax Antique Oil is an oil/varnish mixture very little different from their Minwax Tung Oil Finish. Minwax Tung Oil Finish is also an oil/varnish mixture and contains no real tung oil at all.
    Howie.........

Thumbs up Thumbs Up

John,
    Tries your mix this morning on a Christmas present that I was getting behind on and it worked great. My ratings so far:
    #1 - Wheel
    #2 - Sliced Bread
    #3 - John's Secret Formula

I have liked the look of shellac but have never liked trying to apply it on bigger flatwork. I have to say that your mix is totally forgiving on corners and mitered joints. Just rub back over it and it smoothes right out. I will check back later to see if I can build coats quickly with it (I can't inagine why not). If not, I will try to top coat it with my regular 1/3,1/3,1/3 mix. At the least (and I am not insinuating that it is only good for this) it should be a great seal coat.

Thanks for the Christmas gift,

Jim

What is the antique oil finish? Is it a varnish type finish or is it more of a very light oil like Watco, or? What I am getting at is would I have to buy that exact product or is there something very similar that would produce similar results.

Rich and Jim - That's great news! Just a little confirmation helps me get over the initial fear that I might be giving out bad information.

But now that Howard is saying that this is just a fancy name for varnish...Then I might have to rethink it a bit. But not too much....cuz if it works...it works in my book.

But then, I wonder.....If Minwax Antique Oil Finish is the same as Minwax Tung Oil Finsh...just in disguise....Then they would be interchangeable....and more readily available....maybe cheaper....
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kocourek
    What is the antique oil finish? Is it a varnish type finish or is it more of a very light oil like Watco, or? What I am getting at is would I have to buy that exact product or is there something very similar that would produce similar results.
    Hey Charlie...I posted a pic of the can in this thread somewhere. It is a very thin liquid....much much thinner than BLO....A bit like Watco.

When I used it by itself...the wood immediately soaked it up.

It only had two ingredients Linseed Alkyd Resin 65% and Mineral Spirits 35%
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    You move this thread over to the finishing forum and you'll surely get a little heat, it will probably smoke.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    So it got moved. Thanks a lot Bill! Now we got these guys posting in here that actually know what they're talking about. There goes the neighborhood.

Hold on. That might not be such a bad thing.

EDIT: John - I just turned a 13" platter out of some free pine for kicks and decided to give your conconction a try. Didn't have any Minwax Antique Oil Finish but did find an ignored can of some Minwax Tung Oil. Based on Howard Acheson's post above I figured I'd give it a shot since they sound nearly the same to me. Mixed it up and it sure looked, smelled, and handled just like an off the shelf shellac based friction polish. Cranked the lathe right up high and got it very dry to the touch.

But it now looks a bit dull. I'll let the finish cure a bit more over night and then give it a buff. I'll post a pic then.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-22-2005 at 4:40 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

>> If Minwax Antique Oil Finish is the same as Minwax Tung Oil Finsh...just in disguise....Then they would be interchangeable..

There is a slight difference between the Antique Oil and the Tung Oil Varnish. The Antique Oil has slightly more "varnish" in it and uses a faster evaporating solvent. Probably more like naphtha than mineral spirits.

That said, a reasonable facsimile can be made by mixing equal proportions of your favorate varnish or poly vanish, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits or naphtha. If you want a faster build, use slightly more varnish. Nothing magic, just keep trying until you find a mixture you like.
    Howie.........

I tried John's concoction as stated on a few Christms ornaments, applying by hand off the lathe (easier than coming up with a way to hold 'em after assembly on the lathe).
    I used 2-3 coats, wiping on and then off each time. I got a real nice even finish, without too much build. I waited an hour or so, just on general principles, then coated with microcrystaline wax, which brought up the shine a bit while still not getting too glossy.
    I think the BLO acts as a lube, similar to oil used in french polishing. It never seemed to stay mixed in with the finish, kinda beaded up on the surface on the second and third coats.
    I really like this finish, I'll be using it a lot. It pops the grain very well, and with the varnish, I feel there is more protection than just shellac.
    Thanks again, John!

Cool!!!! Thanks Gary!

I think after this weekend, I may try some of Howards suggestions too. It would be nice to find the "perfect" finish. All right, all right...It'll be fun to experiment!!!! heh heh heh...cough!
    ~john

Just buffed that platter i was talking about yesterday and it shined up really nice. Thanks John and Howard. I'll be posting pics in the turners forum in a few minutes.
    Only the Blue Roads