Thread: Workbench spacing and clearances ?

Workbench spacing and clearances ?

Due to acquiring a CNC last week, I’m forced to give the workbenches spot to the CNC so that the rest of the room clearances work for the saw and jointer/planer. That said, it’s not the most ideal spot for my workbench being against a wall and near the large garage door.

so, how much space do you guys find is a minimum to have to the left and right of your workbench when you have your vise on the left like mine?

62112F76-7A2E-4AF4-8935-B833B135C44B.jpg

I like three feet minimum all around. Less than three feet and it starts to feel like a boat galley.
    Looks like that may not be possible in your case.

Regards,
    Phil

That small toolbox won’t be there but you are right that I’m tight on space. Only 440 sq ft and a golf cart sits in a big chunk of that except when I pull it out to work. But it has to have room to park it in there when not using the shop.

I had the bench so that I could access all 4 sides. In its new home the wall side will not be accessible but I should be able to put a few feet on the other 3 sides. Thanks.

I like to have space all around my work bench with a minimum of about 30". But...my bench, in addition to be height adjustable, also has a mobility kit on it so I can garner space on any or all sides if need be. Given your challenging shop space situation, my suggestion would be to keep that in mind. That said, the CNC is better suited to be "wall bound at the back or one side than your workbench, especially with a smaller CNC like you have where it's easy to reach anywhere on it from any side if need be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kinda off topic, but as I have been looking into purchasing a CNC router myself, when messing with my shop layout floor plan, I have actually found it better to purchase a LARGER CNC router (4' x '4) rather than a smaller one as I discovered it can double as my table saw outfeed table! lol That was all the incentive I needed to go bigger!!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Part of the issue I’ve run into is that my CNC sits a good bit higher than my Felder sliding saw. Every spot I was initially thinking about creates an issue when looking at how it interacts with existing tools. I’ve reorganized my layout so many times but I’m not pulling the dust collection and wiring down to redo that again. There is only so much you can do in a 2 car garage and I think I’ve maximized my space pretty well.

I’ve looked at the final location for the CNC as well as the moved location for the work bench, and as much as I’d like to have the work bench remain away from a wall with access to all sides, I just can’t seem to find that layout combination that lets everything else still work. I’m going to study it a little longer but if I don’t come up with something better, I’m calling this good and routing a dust hose and power cord to it.

Blog Entries
    Elevate the Felder? I had to build a platform for my Saw Stop. All my previous saws had been in the 36" height area and so all my fixtures were designed for that. When the shorty Saw Stop showed up I had to fix it or fix everything else.

SawStop (2).jpg

As to the workbench. I have had them center stage and also against the wall. You can make anything work, it is a matter of the ease of working. I like 3 feet all around but, have settled for less. My workbench has a lot of weight initially and has a drawer carcass in it full of bench tools so mobility is tough. A mobility kit may be your answer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-22-2019 at 1:35 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Okay so I took the time since Sunday to think about the change a little more and came up with this possibility. I put the work bench back where I had it so it can be accessed by all sides with 3 foot available in all but the right side. Also swapped the tool chest and CNC location. Didn’t get all the small stuff put back away but maybe the general floor plan will be better this way as it puts CNC against a wall and work bench in open.

there appears to be as much clearance as before for the saw and jointer/planer. Just ignore all the clutter as this junk came from getting rid of a workbench and moving my wood rack. It will all get worked back into existing space. Only thing I’m not sure about now is the pallet jack storage spot.

anyway does this look more workable?

DEED2F6C-ED34-4F9D-88AA-6B5FFB4EC515.jpg

BB36F67E-1D03-49BE-9DAD-EB5C3BE15E31.jpg

6FCA6771-61B0-46AF-A279-E4EF313AFAC0.jpg

A47BF688-E042-41E2-A429-FCB62CF09CA7.jpg