Thread: Recommendations for grass shears?

Recommendations for grass shears?

In both woodworking and yard maintenance I am pretty much a power tool guy. Nevertheless, there are times when a good pair of manual grass shears are useful. I have a couple of cheapie ones that barely worked when new and don't work at all now, so I want to get a decent pair that not only work but will keep working and can be resharpened as needed.

To be clear, I'm talking about manual grass clippers for doing small amounts of trimming where a weed wacker or power edger won't work. I don't mind kneeling to do the work so I don't need the long handled type.

If you have some you like, I'd love to hear about them.

I've got several old pairs . All bought cheaply at junk shops, haven't seen any newer ones anywhere close in quality.
    Im sure I looked for brands when I bought ,but I can't remember now what they are. Look on eBay.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

https://www.garrettwade.com/grass-trim-shears.html

I have bought pruning shears for my wife from Garrett Wade and she is very happy with them.

Remember the battery powered clippers made before string trimmers? I got tired of dead batteries and bought a pair of Craftsman hand clippers. I still use them.

Dunno if the quality is the same as before but the picture *looks* like the same ones I bought in the '80's:

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-gras...-07185258000P#

The blades on mine are stainless steel. The ones sold now say "cutlery steel" whatever that means. Disclaimer: I haven't bought anything at Sears for at least a year now.

-Tom

I was thinking that if I was buying some, my first choice would be Felco, but I checked, and they don't make grass shears. With that not an option, I guess the first choice would be Berger.

I have been using only Fiskar garden tools for years. I can't say they're the best since I cant compare to others. I called them once about a replacement blade for an older model lopper (more than 10 years old), and they sent me a whole new tool, no charge. So I reward them with my loyalty. And I like the orange handles since I can find them easier when I leave them in the grass.

Thanks all for the recoms! Some of those look really similar to what I have and don't like, but others look more promising. I'm leaning toward one of the Berger models or maybe the one from Garrett Wade (which looks like it might be made by Bahco).