Thread: Festool Emerald Edition "Special"

Festool Emerald Edition "Special"

Has anyone looked at these special edition tools?
    I honestly don't need a Domino, for example, but I'm not sure that passing one of these tool over if the price and included accessories are a once in a lifetime offer, I could be interested.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Festool sometimes creates special or limited edition offerings. In my eyes they are trying to create collectors edition tools out of their ordinary every day offerings and to me, that is of no particular value. I purchased a Domino three years ago for $950 US. The tool has not had any improvements (hasn't needed any) since then but due to their yearly price increases is up 10% from then. In the case of the DF500, they are including three cutters, however if one purchases a set of dominos in a Systainer, it typically includes five cutters. That set has also increased in price by 10% in three years.

The blue limited edition and special printing on the latch to me are gimmicky. They recently offered a similar limited edition blue systainer for $20 less than the equivalent standard gray one.

Having said that, the Domino is a wonderful tool and has been a game changer for me and gets used frequently. Is this "special edition" a deal of a lifetime? No but if one is looking to get a DF500, it is a better deal than regular pricing, so why not go that way. It wouldn't be enough of an incentive to jump at a bargain though if I wasn't seriously considering purchasing one in the first place. The annual price increases in my mind have created artificial perceived value on which Festool can then offer special deals in the future.
    Dick Mahany.

Ha Yea definitely nothing "once in a lifetime" here. Its just a different logo'd T Latch and an extra tool or so in each bundle. They raise prices every year then run these kinda of "special editions" with something "free" or
    "extra" included. Its not free, you're paying for it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If it's a tool you want/need and the price is attractive to you compared to non-special edition, go for it. The specials do sometimes include extra accessories, so you have to take that into account when you are comparing things, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just checked out Festools site on this and one of the promotional videos is done by Tool Nut. They, TN, are doing the Domino tenon systainer, less the cutters which typically come in the Standard tenon sustainer set and less the 4mm tenons for $240. Not sure if that is a standard price or only offered with the special Domino promo. So, if you buy the Emerald you get the cutters. Then buying the tenon set from TN you get some savings.