Thread: Ambrosia is my new favorite color

Ambrosia is my new favorite color

This thing literally looks like fire. 6' maple table top. The bottom is a train wreck and reveals how problematic some types of figure can be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is wild!

Need some more?:

John

Johnny,

Table looks great. Is the wood hard to work with?

Did you just clear coat for your finish?

Bill

Ambrosia maple is sometimes pretty extraordinary, especially when it's also blessed with some figure. I cut some things for a client recently that featured both and wow...really kewel result.

I'm curious about all those "inlays" in that table top. Do tell...

-----

John, if you don't want that horrible stuff, you can drop it off at my shop for "disposal".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use it quite a bit!

IMG_0976.jpgIMG_2607.jpgIMG_0964.jpg

Want to clarify for myself, the OP, or possibly both. I think what he(and me) find most impressive about his wood top is the curl/figure and not the staining caused by the ambrosia beetle. Personally, i think ambrosia maple is unattractive. To each his own, but i think the crotch figure and curl in the OP's table is fantastic. I dont believe the ambrosia beetle or its larva produces figure, just the turd streaks throughout the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ambrosia maple is sometimes pretty extraordinary, especially when it's also blessed with some figure. I cut some things for a client recently that featured both and wow...really kewel result.

-----

John, if you don't want that horrible stuff, you can drop it off at my shop for "disposal".
    3dyhvu.jpg

I actually call them glitches. Their our way of dealing with nasty inclusions and checking that are present in these highly disfigured boards. Like I said the bottom is a trainwreck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It makes sense, Johnny, and I suspected that was the case. Fortuitously, that top is "busy" enough that the patching almost disappears at a glance and you have a nice solid top.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

-----

Jim, I have well over 500 BF of it from 5 silver maple logs I milled a couple of months ago. Some of it has some really nice curly character near the edges, too. I'm not delivering it, but anytime you want to make a trip up to Niagara Falls you are welcome to take whatever will fit in that new Ascent.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Jim, I have well over 500 BF of it from 5 silver maple logs I milled a couple of months ago. Some of it has some really nice curly character near the edges, too. I'm not delivering it, but anytime you want to make a trip up to Niagara Falls you are welcome to take whatever will fit in that new Ascent.

John
    Oooh....

--