Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to do these drawers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I'll second the theory that the front of that table is an apron, not a drawer.
    Many people who view this table will also feel the front is an apron, not a drawer.

It is an easy way to have a hidden drawer.

How many drawers do you see here:

The Inspector.jpg

There are three.

What looks like a dust panel at the bottom is a drawer:

Side View.jpg

It is always nice to have a little out of the way storage.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I'll second the theory that the front of that table is an apron, not a drawer.
    I thought posts 33 & 35 confirmed they are drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    I thought posts 33 & 35 confirmed they are drawers.
    We were looking at some furniture recently and there was a whole range of furniture that did not have a handle and were using a push lock, even tallboys. These were locally made and used Blum hardware. But I agree with Derek that I would not use those locks - well made furniture can last hundreds of years whereas these locks may perhaps last only 20 years maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Loewensteijn View Post
    We were looking at some furniture recently and there was a whole range of furniture that did not have a handle and were using a push lock, even tallboys. These were locally made and used Blum hardware. But I agree with Derek that I would not use those locks - well made furniture can last hundreds of years whereas these locks may perhaps last only 20 years maximum.
    In the grand scheme of things, maybe this piece was not meant to be.

So, just give it up? Drink the soup, or go home.

Modern junk is what Blum is.

The motion activated or just tap the drawer doors drawers and appliances are really starting to take off in the high end cabinet world.

Yes I have a problem with it. I mean what are we teaching ourselves if we can’t even be held accountable to open and close a dam door or drawer.

It’s just nuts.

Hey Alexa “I need the brain I gave away back”

Alexa can you get me a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    If Blum is modern junk, is there a preferred line of cabinet and drawer hardware you use?

I ask because I'm always looking for improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post

Well, I have begun building. Should I spoil the surprise, or are you willing to wait?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post

The motion activated or just tap the drawer doors drawers and appliances are really starting to take off in the high end cabinet world.

Yes I have a problem with it. I mean what are we teaching ourselves if we can’t even be held accountable to open and close a dam door or drawer.

It’s just nuts.

Hey Alexa “I need the brain I gave away back”

Alexa can you get me a brain.
    Interesting viewpoint, Patrick. It is like saying that the emerging furniture design standards set for the current generation(s) emanates from the kitchen.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-02-2019 at 7:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Well, I have begun building. Should I spoil the surprise, or are you willing to wait?
    Do proceed.

Hmm,

Ok I’m humble enough to admit that you lost me.

Well at least I think you did.

Would try again to make your point in a manner i might comprehend.

Sometimes I’m not so smart. Or maybe I’m just not so smart?

In all seriousness I kinda follow but not really..

i
    Interesting viewpoint, Patrick. It is like saying that the emerging furniture design standards set for the current generation(s) emanates from the kitchen.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Patrick. You are plenty smart I was a bit obscure (as often am .... when I was a kid, my parents would make me put my hand up when I was kidding since my humour can be pretty dry).

You did not actually say this, but my thoughts were piqued by your comments. Essentially, the model for what is good furniture today is increasingly moving in the direction of the construction methods of Ikea and the convenience of the modern kitchen. This is what kids of today are exposed to.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I kinda thought so,

But it was unclear,

Being i respect your work, and also you vocation I suppose in my mind that adds up to actually wanting to know what the hay you meant..

Lol

Can’t wait to see progress pictures. That reminds me I need to contribute..

Hi Patrick. You are plenty smart I was a bit obscure (as often am .... when I was a kid, my parents would make me put my hand up when I was kidding since my humour can be pretty dry).

You did not actually say this, but my thoughts were piqued by your comments. Essentially, the model for what is good furniture today is increasingly moving in the direction of the construction methods of Ikea and the convenience of the modern kitchen. This is what kids of today are exposed to.

Regards from Perth

Derek