Thread: My babies

My babies

76971999-C694-497E-A50C-B66A14B84C82.jpg
    Cleaned, sharpened and ready to work
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    They look nice Josh.

Is there any more to the story like size and type?

How about the hunt?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Black automotive paint works on Japanning repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    They look nice Josh.

Is there any more to the story like size and type?

How about the hunt?

jtk
    Jim,

The number three I found years ago before I had a clue about planes. Cant exactly remember Where I picked it up but I’m sure at a flea market. I had stored it in the loft of my dads barn during the divorce, and had forgotten about it. When I ran across it later, after I had started wood working, I realized wow that’s a pretty nice number three! Think it’s a type 11.

The no 4 I’ve looked at all my life hanging in my dads barn. He’d gotten it from his dad, whom I never knew (He died as a young man) A few years ago I finally figured out how to sharpen it and that’s the plane that started me down the path of wood working with hand tools. I built my work bench with it, a flea market hand saw and a coupe of buck brothers chisels. I believe its’s a type 9 - It’s corrugated.

The number 5c bedrock I bought from a gentleman on eBay that does a good job at refurbishing planes. I think a type 15? Paid a lot for it ($200) but it was re-enameled, clean, sharp and ready to go. I think a lot of wood workers could get by with a 4 and 5 but what fun is that?! At one time I thought I would collect a set of bedrocks but they’re over priced and don’t perform any better. I like the look though.

The number six I’ve only had a few weeks, also off eBay but much better price, around $60 or so. A few swipes on some sandpaper to clean it up and a few swipes of the iron on the diamond plates and I’m planing with it. Current project is a mission rocker and I like this heavy plane on the long posts. I like it on the shooting board too. It’s heavy, my forearm is sore from using it but the heft just glides through that white oak. I think it’s a type 18. I’ll add a 7 and 8 At some point just to have them, don’t need them at this point. And of course if I found a no. 1 or 2 for a buck I’d buy them

Blog Entries
    I’ll add a 7 and 8 At some point just to have them, don’t need them at this point. And of course if I found a no. 1 or 2 for a buck I’d buy them
    It seems many who start using planes have a similar approach. Be careful it can become habit forming:

Wall of Plane.jpg

This image is from five years ago. Another shelf of molding planes has been added. There is also a bench across the room with a half dozen planes stowed there.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Nice group of working planes Josh. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It seems many who start using planes have a similar approach. Be careful it can become habit forming:

Wall of Plane.jpg

This image is from five years ago. Another shelf of molding planes has been added. There is also a bench across the room with a half dozen planes stowed there.

jtk
    Jim, what are all those combination planes on the one shelf?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    [edited]
    Jim, what are all those combination planes on the one shelf?
    Those are Stanley #45s and one #50. At one time it seemed like a good idea to have a few extra. A few times 3 have actually been in use at one time. One of these days one or two of them may need to find a new home.

jtk

"...that’s the plane that started me down the path of wood working with hand tools."

Love that story about the No. 4. Talk about "heirloom."

Nice set of users Josh, but it sounds like you may have a touch of the "collector" in you. Look to Jim (Oh Jim!) as to the oft quoted slippery slope. My #3 is probably my favorite plane and I, like many others, have quit at the #7. I'd think the #8 needs wheels and a motor to drive it and have made the jump to a wooden plane for a try plane. But, each to his own Josh and looks like you are up and running.
    David