Thread: Cedar boxes

Cedar boxes

Still new to turning but just learned to turn a box from YouTube. I’ve now turned four or five and really enjoy it. Surprisingly, when I only had a mini lathe, all I wanted to turn were large bowls/platters. Now I have a Laguna 2436 and I’ve gotten more into spindle turning and smaller items. Still planning on the big stuff, just need more practice and better general technique.

Here are a couple from a cedar branch that came down last year. Wish it would stay this color forever! C&C welcome and appreciated as always.

Both boxes are about 3” tall and 1.5 - 2.5” wide. (The second box is an anniversary gift for my wife so I tried to burn a message on the inside lid but it turned out a bit sloppy. I guess I need more practice, though it didn’t help writing in Russian!!!)

Thomas,
    Excellent job on both, especially the second one. The more I look, the more I'm inspired to turn one like your anniversary box! I have several pieces of cedar so I may have to give it a try. I love the smell in the shop when working with cedar. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work Thomas. Love the color.

Thanks for the comments.

Richard - my garage smells great right now! I want to make another like the second but with a smaller opening....the lid looks a bit wide/large for the size to my (untrained) eye, but overall I’m pleased with the results. I definitely am improving with cleaner cuts and fewer catches. Just wish I had more time than 1-2x per month to get out and turn!

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Still new to turning but just learned to turn a box from YouTube. I’ve now turned four or five and really enjoy it. Surprisingly, when I only had a mini lathe, all I wanted to turn were large bowls/platters. Now I have a Laguna 2436 and I’ve gotten more into spindle turning and smaller items. Still planning on the big stuff, just need more practice and better general technique.

Here are a couple from a cedar branch that came down last year. Wish it would stay this color forever! C&C welcome and appreciated as always.

Both boxes are about 3” tall and 1.5 - 2.5” wide. (The second box is an anniversary gift for my wife so I tried to burn a message on the inside lid but it turned out a bit sloppy. I guess I need more practice, though it didn’t help writing in Russian!!!)
    Very nice! Signing by woodburning is difficult. A tip wit tiny ball on the end seems the be the best. i generally use pigment-based marers such as the Faber Castell Pitt pens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HF562K

What kind of finish? I like to turn cedar. The bright color will fade somewhat but I find the color will vary depending on the finish and the wood, of course. I find if I rub beeswax into the surface I get a far different color than when I melt beeswax into the surface, and even a different color with different finishes. These pieces show some different finishes, all still look about the same years later:

Beeswax rubbed into the surface by and with a rag
    bottom2_IMG_4687.jpg

Beeswax rubbed into the surface but with more pressure while the lathe is running so it melted somewhat.
    cedar_bowl.jpg

Beeswax melted into the wood with a heat gun
    cedar_bowl_figured.jpg cedar_lid_comp_IMG_7331.jpg

Maybe 10 coats of danish oil
    penta_platter_cedar_IMG_7434.jpg

Six coats of spray lacquer, sanded/steel wooled between coats for smoothness
    cedar_vessel.jpg

JKJ

Right now I have one coat of Deft wipe on clear lacquer (diluted with lacquer thinner). I'm kind of experimenting with this finish and might add more coats if it would help preserve the color, but I doubt it would and I kind of like the low sheen it has currently.
    Tom

As usual John your photos add so much to your instruction!
    RD