Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting photos off old hard drive

Getting photos off old hard drive

OK so I got a new refurbed pc , I took the hard drive out of the old pc and scrapped the case. I'd like to get the pictures off that drive but have no idea how to go about it. I'm just a little tech savy so any instuctions would have to be very detailed. Like what hardware or software would i need and how to go about it.can anyone explaine the process in dummy language thanks.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You can get a hard drive reader pretty cheap from Newegg. It plugs into the drive, and a port on your computer. Then just copy what folders you want onto the new hard drive. Notice what interface the hard drive uses. It shows up as some other drive letter on My Computer, so you don't really need any extra software. You can get them to read about any type of hard drive, regardless of how old. I always save the old hard drives when I build a new computer, and have some 20 years old that I can still read, if I need to.

Bert... it really depends on what type of connection is on your old drive.... could be an old IDE connector or a newer SATA connector... there are plenty of interfaces available for any connector to a usb connection that you could use to plug the drive into a usb port on your new computer. Your best bet would be to take the old drive to a computer store and they could set you up with the proper cable. Once you have it and plug the drive into the new computer using the cable then just pull up Windows explorer and you should see the drive listed there.Then it is just a matter of navigating to the folder where the pictures are located on the old drive and drag them over to your new computer...

Bert

Yep, you need a "hard drive enclosure". This is an inexpensive plastic case with a USB connector on it. You slide your old hard drive inside, and then plug it into the new computer. You will see all of your old files, and as stated just copy them over. Your new machine should recognize it as an external drive.
    the only 'Tech" part of it is that the enclosure has to be compatible with your old drive. This is pretty easy, just know the make and model of the old drive, and connection type and you're set.
    Once you get done getting your old files, you can format it, and set it up as an external storage drive.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Most desktop or tower pc's have provision for more than one hard drive. It's possible that you may just be able to install your old drive in the new computer as a second hard drive. For this to work two things come into play, the physical size of the old drive and the type of interface it has.
    If you give us a pic of the business end of your old drive (the end with the connectors) and the make/model of your new PC, we can give more guidance.

My hard drive "reader" is just a cord with different types of plugs on it. The hard drive doesn't need to be in a case. They just sit on the desk, and even can stack multiples.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    My hard drive "reader" is just a cord with different types of plugs on it. The hard drive doesn't need to be in a case. They just sit on the desk, and even can stack multiples.
    You can buy inexpensive "dockling stations" (20 or 30 bucks?) where you just stick the drive in the correct slot and you can access it. (Not for permanent use because the cooling may not be sufficient.)

As to how your new OS will respond to the older drive, I would prefer to say that it's above my pay grade to make any guarantees of anything. I've seen some strange stuff go down. The OS companies (both Apple and Microsoft in particular) try to anticipate what you want to do, and they get it wrong often enough that it's scary. When I switch machines, I like to make a clone of the old one first, just as a safety.

Guess I'll have to research this further. All the replies are confusing me. But looking at my new computer its much thinner then the old one and this one doesn't have a hard drive its an ssd I think . windows 10 and my old computer was win 7 ........ argg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Guess I'll have to research this further. All the replies are confusing me. But looking at my new computer its much thinner then the old one and this one doesn't have a hard drive its an ssd I think . windows 10 and my old computer was win 7 ........ argg
    Can't help with the OS, (except to say Win10 should be able to read Win7 file formats.)

If you would just post a (clear) photo of the old drives connector(s) and give us the external dimensions, I bet we could provide dozens of solutions that would work, with links to Amazon, NewEgg, Frys.com (in case you have one of their retail stores close.) Then it'd depend on price and your goals.

I prefer a drive enclosure, which depends on the physical size and the connectors, that turns my old drives into external USB storage. That way you can save the drive, get the photos now and go back and get the receipt, or whatever, later. Sabrent brand has been good to me (and the old co-worker that recommended them), but the last drive I did this to they didn't have the right combo and I got a Vantec NexStar (based on Amazon reviews) and it's been fine too. (As I sit here I count seven of these enclosures within reach.)

Amazon has a lot of external hard drive enclosures. I have one by Sabrent and they are typically $20-30.

Bert
    Don't let yourself get confused. I recommended a hard drive enclosure only because if you go in a store and ask for one, they'll know what you want. There are other ways to do it, but asking for a hard drive enclosure is the easiest.
    A hard drive enclosure is plastic box that your hard drive fits into. You connect your old hard drive, though it will probably just fit into the connector, and then connect the USB cable to your computer. There is no 3rd party,disc copy, software to load, or buy. Your machine will automatically recognize your old hard drive in the enclosure, and allow you to navigate to it.
    The files on your old hard drive will appear pretty much exactly as you previously had them. Since it is just photos you're looking for and not software suites, it's really easy.
    You can buy a hard drive enclosure at WalMart, or Best Buy, for $20-$25.00.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have taken the drives out of an old XP computer and a Win 7 computer and taken the files off of them to my new Win 10 computer by using the proper cable and plugging then into the USB port with no problem... if you're not sure how to do this , as I mentioned, just take the old drive to somewhere like Best Buy and they can fix you up with the correct cable...

It would have been a lot easier to do the transfer while you still had the old machine since you could have either copied them directly through "sharing" on your network or by other means. The most practical way at this point is to get an enclosure that has the properly type of connection for the drive you have internally and a USB output so you can plug it into your new computer. It then becomes just another storage device for your new computer. You can leave the photos on there or transfer them onto the primary storage for your new machine, freeing the old drive up for, say...backup purposes.

Personally, I also backup photos to an online storage subscription...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Buy an enclosure and do the transfer. Then buy a new drive and put that in the enclosure. Copy all the important stufto that drive and then unplug it as an archive.

Hard drive.jpghard drive 2.jpgOld drive sitting on new puter
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander