Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting photos off old hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It would have been a lot easier to do the transfer while you still had the old machine since you could have either copied them directly through "sharing" on your network or by other means. The most practical way at this point is to get an enclosure that has the properly type of connection for the drive you have internally and a USB output so you can plug it into your new computer. It then becomes just another storage device for your new computer. You can leave the photos on there or transfer them onto the primary storage for your new machine, freeing the old drive up for, say...backup purposes.

Personally, I also backup photos to an online storage subscription...
    ld computers would not boot up
    O
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Bert
    Don't let yourself get confused. I recommended a hard drive enclosure only because if you go in a store and ask for one, they'll know what you want. There are other ways to do it, but asking for a hard drive enclosure is the easiest.
    A hard drive enclosure is plastic box that your hard drive fits into. You connect your old hard drive, though it will probably just fit into the connector, and then connect the USB cable to your computer. There is no 3rd party,disc copy, software to load, or buy. Your machine will automatically recognize your old hard drive in the enclosure, and allow you to navigate to it.
    The files on your old hard drive will appear pretty much exactly as you previously had them. Since it is just photos you're looking for and not software suites, it's really easy.
    You can buy a hard drive enclosure at WalMart, or Best Buy, for $20-$25.00.
    hanks I'll look into this and why does the first letter in my post drop down a line LOL
    T
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It would have been a lot easier to do the transfer while you still had the old machine since you could have either copied them directly through "sharing" on your network or by other means. The most practical way at this point is to get an enclosure that has the properly type of connection for the drive you have internally and a USB output so you can plug it into your new computer. It then becomes just another storage device for your new computer. You can leave the photos on there or transfer them onto the primary storage for your new machine, freeing the old drive up for, say...backup purposes.

Personally, I also backup photos to an online storage subscription...
    I did but this was a different puter with no online back up , I'm very disorganized and sometime put pictures on a different puter for get to transfer then that puter died
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    hanks I'll look into this and why does the first letter in my post drop down a line LOL
    T
    As far as the First letter When you reply with Quote I have to place the curser right a the end of the quote and hit enter to go down to where I want to start

Blog Entries
    Attachment 417954Attachment 417955Old drive sitting on new puter
    Bert, That is not a hard drive, it is a DVD read/write mechanism.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Bert, That is not a hard drive, it is a DVD read/write mechanism.

jtk
    That, plus you didn't show the electrical connectors in your photo.

Given you are talking about a DVD drive and not a hard drive, I suggest just getting an external DVD drive and use it for all your computers. E.g:

https://smile.amazon.com/Dell-DW316-...s%2C295&sr=8-4

one of the first hits on Amazon. But, you can go to your favorite source and get almost anything similar and have it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Buy an enclosure and do the transfer. Then buy a new drive and put that in the enclosure. Copy all the important stufto that drive and then unplug it as an archive.
    The potential issue here is whether or not the old drive and a current generation drive use the same technology to plug in...otherwise, I don't disagree at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Attachment 417954Attachment 417955Old drive sitting on new puter
    Ah, I missed that post for some reason...yup. That's not a hard drive. It doesn't store anything internally. It only reads and writes DVDs. So if your photos are on DVDs (or CDROMs) you can just get a USB DVD drive to plug into the new machine. If the photos were on the hard drive of your old computer and you disposed of it...they are gone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ah, I missed that post for some reason...yup. That's not a hard drive. It doesn't store anything internally. It only reads and writes DVDs. So if your photos are on DVDs (or CDROMs) you can just get a USB DVD drive to plug into the new machine. If the photos were on the hard drive of your old computer and you disposed of it...they are gone.
    aybe I grabbed the wrong one I took everything out of the old one I'll check the other thing later
    m
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Lets try again LOL Hard Drive.jpgConnector.jpg
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert,

I have a Black Box Duet model enclosure made by a company called Thermaltake.
    It will handle two SATA drives or two USB drives at a time.
    You plug it into your computer via USB cable and slide the hard drive into the enclosure and the drive magically appears.
    It's that simple.

Lets try again....
    From the scale of your hand, I'm pretty sure that's a 3.5" drive. If so, this:

https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasic...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

should work fine to turn it into an external drive. (Among others, of course.)

OK I'm gonna order one and see if it works thanks for all the help I'll let ya know how I did
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hey Bert,

The one from your 1st photos which says hitachi deskstar is the one you want.

Since you pulled the drive from the old computer, I'm going to follow with a method which probably doesn't need any of that other stuff listed above, but does require opening the the computer, which you can feel free to ignore if you aren't certain about it:

1st lets pull the side off the new computer, you will see a tiny drive inside mounted near the bottom most likely which will be your new solid state drive most likely, and the dvd drive which will probably allow you easy access to borrow some connectivity. There are 2 cables that go to the drive, the one larger connector which you pictured on the left is the power connector, the smaller one is the data cable. Since we will borrow both this should not matter.

With the computer off, I would borrow the cables from the DVD drive and attach them to the old hard drive.
    You should then simply be able to boot the computer, it will likely boot off the new drive, it may ask you some questions, but maybe not, probably along the lines of "System configuration has changed, Press F1 to continue Press DEL to enter setup" you should be able to continue. If it doesnt work, don't change settings and put it back how it was.

Since you are now booted into windows, you should be able to go to your "My Computer" or whatever it is called these days and navigate to your pictures folder on the old hard drive, then copy it to the new one. Then shut down the computer and put it back how you found it.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cooper2 View Post
    Hey Bert,

The one from your 1st photos which says hitachi deskstar is the one you want.

Since you pulled the drive from the old computer, I'm going to follow with a method which probably doesn't need any of that other stuff listed above, but does require opening the the computer, which you can feel free to ignore if you aren't certain about it:

1st lets pull the side off the new computer, you will see a tiny drive inside mounted near the bottom most likely which will be your new solid state drive most likely, and the dvd drive which will probably allow you easy access to borrow some connectivity. There are 2 cables that go to the drive, the one larger connector which you pictured on the left is the power connector, the smaller one is the data cable. Since we will borrow both this should not matter.

With the computer off, I would borrow the cables from the DVD drive and attach them to the old hard drive.
    You should then simply be able to boot the computer, it will likely boot off the new drive, it may ask you some questions, but maybe not, probably along the lines of "System configuration has changed, Press F1 to continue Press DEL to enter setup" you should be able to continue. If it doesnt work, don't change settings and put it back how it was.

Since you are now booted into windows, you should be able to go to your "My Computer" or whatever it is called these days and navigate to your pictures folder on the old hard drive, then copy it to the new one. Then shut down the computer and put it back how you found it.

Good Luck!
    Sorry Steven.... but why over complicate things? The OP says he is not computer savy and you want him to try that?... all he needs to do is get a SATA to USB cable like in the picture and he can get anything he wants off of the old drive...

CAM00761.jpg