Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shelves vs cabinets? Pegboard? Other?

Pegboard, shelving, or any open access system make it easy for you to see your tools and gear, but cabinets let people...and potential customers...see your workmanship. Another plus for cabinets is that they keep out the dust. I also like that the cabinets can be taken down and moved, in the event that you need to relocate your shop.

Now, having said that, the birch ply for my cabinets is still sitting in my second shop space while my smaller tools are mostly packed in Rubbermaid and Husky storage containers :/
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 11-09-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    The handiest cabinet I’ve ever had was given to me by my brother. He worked for a bank that was getting rid of their microfilm. Mine is 8 drawers about 20” wide x 24” deep and about 5” high. It’s been perfect for storing nuts, bolts, screws, electrical bits and other small stuff. Cheap plastic electrical boxes fit perfectly between the dividers. If you can find one of these things, grab it! It is now the only closed drawer cabinet I have in my shop.

https://www.microfilmworld.com/russb...microfilm.aspx

If you can find a blueprint cabinet and add a few dividers, it will be a great improvement over whatever you are using

Alan
    Ahat a beautiful shop! Especially love the router table cabinet! By any chance do you have plans for that?
    Thx for sharing!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    OK. My $0.02

I far prefer slatwall over pegboard. Much cleaner, professional look.

I'm a big believer in wall cabinets with plastic pull out bins. The problem is that the company that made them for years seems to have stopped making almost all of them. I have a huge supply in multiple closets, and my workshop, but still regret that I can't get new ones. I put the shelves in the cabinets at the appropriate heights to allow stacking of the bins. It's an incredibly organized, space efficient, OCD way I've always organized my workshops.

I build most components of my workshop with fairly deep drawers. My table saw side table has 24" deep drawers, and the same with my outfeed table. I can easily store many jigs, saws, etc... as well as specialized drawers for router bits, saw blades, push blocks, etc...

I build my own cabinets. This allows customization, and hones your skills for fine furniture building projects later.

Clamps I place in a clamp rack, whose design I stole from someone years ago. I can never remember his name, sadly, to give him credit, but it's absurdly space efficient.

Ceiling mounted air filters are a must for me, as well as more lighting than you ever think you would need. You can't overdo that.

Anyway, that's a start. Still being tortured by contractor finishing the walls in my shop, so no finished pictures yet.

Oh, and tons of good advice here.

Attachment 418330
    Attachment 418331
    Attachment 418332
    Attachment 418333
    Attachment 418334
    Attachment 418336
    Aaarrghhhhh!!!!! I can't remember the procedure to make the photos not show up rotated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burson View Post
    Alan
    Ahat a beautiful shop! Especially love the router table cabinet! By any chance do you have plans for that?
    Thx for sharing!
    Dave
    Unfortunately not, Dave. I started with the plans for Norm Abrams router table, then oversized it to fit my Ready2Rout system as well as the cast iron router top I had, so I tripled the plywood on top. So, to say the least, it's sturdy. Adding drawers that seemed to work more with my bits and jigs, dust collection, etc... and I came up with the finished product.

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread, but go ahead and build one. You'll love having a router table.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I like a combination of wall storage for commonly used hand tools, cabinets for glues. Drawers for pretty much everything else. I put Kennedy toolboxes behind shoji, keeps dust off of everything and avoids a cluttered appearance.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Another vote against pegboards. I've got some in my basement from when I first started buying tools. The hooks, etc are an added expense, and they always fall out when you pull out the tool.

Instead I recommend just getting a piece of plywood, and putting screws into it. It's sturdier, and more flexible, since you can put a screw anywhere that makes sense. If you want something more involved, you can build a holder, akin to what you see people doing with French Cleats, only you can screw the holder to anywhere on the plywood sheet, instead of just where the cleats are.

Blog Entries
    Tom,
    I bet those are good too. I'm thrilled with my microfilm cabinet in part because the drawers are just about right to use cheap plastic electrical boxes as bins. My memory of blueprint cabinets are that the drawers are a bit shallower. They would also be really wide and deep. If you filled a drawer with boxes and bins of nuts and bolts, would it take the weight?

Since my shop is my garage I like the clean look and dust protection of cabinets and shallow drawers. I have bought a bunch of the Ultra HD cabinets and drawers from Sams Club. If I dedicated shop having open storage for the most used tools would be option.

10. I hate pegboard. I hate all the flimsy little hooks and whatnot. I keep my small power tools and kind of general household tools in a big rolling chest. My hand tools all fit into ad hoc wall fixtures. I could not have done this earlier in my woodworking life because my tool collection was growing and changing. Now I feel like it is pretty much complete.
    bench.jpgplanes.jpg