Thread: Plywood Ball.....

Plywood Ball.....

Thought I'd post some pics of this decorative ball my son turned. It's made out of Baltic Birch plywood and took quite a bit of prep time. He had to cut out all the triangular segments with, I think, about a 5 degree angle and get them all glued up a few at a time. I didn't see the actual turning because we were away at the time but was impressed when I saw the finished ball. One joint had a gap in it as the ball was turned down so he bought a door hinge and shaped it down to fit and put his name on it.....He also turned a small stand for it to be displayed on....

CAM00756.jpg CAM00755.jpg

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree -- Something to be proud of for sure. Great looking piece. Is it hollow?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    The apple doesn't fall far from the tree -- Something to be proud of for sure. Great looking piece. Is it hollow?
    Yes....it's hollow....about 5/8" thick... forgot to mention it's about 10" across.. thanks for commenting....

That is interesting! Well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Even your good explanation of the process leaves me with little understanding. But it's a lot better looking than the
    simple balls used by most of the fortune tellers or "professional " bowlers! Looks like it would be a great knitting or
    sewing box.

Thanks Ken..... and Mel... I understand what you're saying. Since my son made it I was only looking in a few times to see how it was going so I'm not the best at explaining the process.... My son is at university now but I just found this to help explain... https://boingboing.net/2018/11/21/ho...-geodesic.html ... the only difference is that this guy sanded his round and my son turned his round....

Barry, thanks for posting that. Takes it from the impossible to just a lot of work !

Ouch, I'm getting a headache trying to understand how there are perfect circles. Very cool esp since your kid did it undoubtedly due to your influence!

Can anyone point to an internet resource which spells out the angles and arrangements of hexagons and pentagons in this sphere?

The video is very entertaining, but not big on what I would call "instructions" for making this thing!

Robert

Thanks Eric..... Hey Robert....my son will be home this weekend and I'll ask where he got the info and let you know...

Amazing...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That's pretty neat Barry. Thanks for showing it to us!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Amazing...
    Hello from another ASA’r. 1959-1963
    MOS 059
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 10-23-2019 at 11:03 AM.