Thread: Sharpen this blade?

Sharpen this blade?

I bought a table saw last year from someone off craigslist and he gave me a few blades.

I’m sending one of my other blades to be sharpened but I have no idea of the quality of this blade and if i should spend money to get it sharpened also. It looks like it also needs a new tooth.

Does anyone recognize this blade or think it is worth spending the money to sharpen? Appreciate any info.

It looks like there is a decent amount of carbide left on it.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UC8...nrzxg_U0ir4NbQ
    Last edited by John Lourenco; 10-19-2019 at 9:01 AM. Reason: Add link

It looks like 24 tooth, that I would guess would make it a rip saw. I would clean it up and see if you see any markings. Baking soda soak and a brass or fiber brush.
    Last edited by Charles Grauer; 10-19-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries
    Take it to a shop like Circle Saw. They can sharpen carbide blades. See what the cost is before leaving the blades.

I think my Freud blades have that little curlicue in the slots that your blade shows. Last time I needed it, my sharpeners charged $5 to replace a tooth, has been a few years though. If it were mine, I'd go ahead and send it in for sharpening and tooth replacement and then see what it does. Forgot to ask, how thick is the plate?
    David

John,
    Welcome to SMC! Hopefully you’ll stick around and contribute and learn. I suggest you become a contributor so you can post pictures and see them.

I’d offer help but I don’t want to click and view that link.

Thanks for the replies all.

When I put a caliper on the teeth it is about 0.090 inches thick.

The blade is all black and appears the coating is wearing off. The seller also engraved his name in the blade so I am hoping that is pointing to that this isn't a cheap blade and worth resharpening.

As someone mentioned above, it looks like a Freud rip blade. They did use a black coating years ago, before going red.

Looks like it was used heavily, I would ask the blade sharpener to check it out for warp, but it is probably worth sharpening.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    As someone mentioned above, it looks like a Freud rip blade. They did use a black coating years ago, before going red.

Looks like it was used heavily, I would ask the blade sharpener to check it out for warp, but it is probably worth sharpening.
    Appreciate it!

Washing soda, not baking soda.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I did have one of Freuds Black coated crosscut blades on my RAS 20 years or more ago. My wife needed to cut something, and mistakenly thought my steel carpenters square was part of the saw.

She got half way through the square before she called me at work and asked if it should spark that much. I forget what I said.

My point here is that the blade came through it with little noticeable damage, and I left it on the saw for a couple years. It is still in my blade drawer.

That is when I became a Freud fanboy.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I forget what I said
    Your wife will never forget what you said.