Thread: Robinair 15310 with a vacuum chuck?

Robinair 15310 with a vacuum chuck?

https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-1531.../dp/B005CO9GX6

There is one of these available locally for cheap. Would it be suitable for a a vacuum chuck? And while not turning, suitable for veneering?

2. That vac pump will be fine for a vacuum chuck. I have the almost the same pump, only from Harbor Freight. Oil mist is an issue if you don't do something to catch it. I took a metal pail, cut a hole in the top for the exhaust hose I use and have the inside of the lidded pail filled with paper towels to absorb any mist. When it gets near saturation, just change out the paper towels for new ones, and you are good to go!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Good afternoon Roger. Could you post a pic of your setup. I am looking to do the vacuum chuck and also stabilize some blanks. The harbor freight pump is most reasonable in price. Not sure about the reliability though.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Ron Barnes View Post
    Good afternoon Roger. Could you post a pic of your setup. I am looking to do the vacuum chuck and also stabilize some blanks. The harbor freight pump is most reasonable in price. Not sure about the reliability though.
    I believe the Robinaire and the Harbor Freight are from exactly the same factory and made from the same parts.......they are essentially clones of one another. One brand put on it for one company, and another brand from another company. There have been a number of turners who have used the HF vacuum pump without issues for years.

I will endeavor to post a couple of pics when I can.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!