Thread: WTB - Boggs Curved Spokeshave

WTB - Boggs Curved Spokeshave

If you have one you are no longer using, give me a shout! Don't want the concave one, or the straight - just the curved bottom.

Thanks!

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, I'm new to spokeshaves, and the Boggs was my first one. Probably got a little ahead of myself. Anyway, it is such a fine precision instrument and I was way down on the learning curve, so I was thinking of throwing in the towel and trading it for a Stanley or two when I couldn't make it work on in inside curve.

However, something has begun to happen and now the Boggs is warming up to me, although I'm sure I still have a lot of growing into it to do. In the meantime I did purchase a No. 151 with a great wide throat for rough hogging, and I'm on the lookout for a 151R or 151MR so I have both a flat and round "hogger" to complement my Boggs.

So, I'm not planning to ditch the Boggs after all. Best of luck finding one for your shop!

Thanks, Bob. I have owned for several years a Veritas low angle shave and I have recently acquired a very nice 151M with a Hock blade, and have bought and waiting on delivery a 51, 52 and a 63. I hope to get them fettled into good working order and develop some new skill sets. From all I have read, the Boggs shaves are finish tools and not very good at rough work because of their tight mouths. Once I learn a bit more about the nuances of shaves I will probably just spring for a new Boggs or two.

What are you making John? Nice to see you!

Prashun, I sent you an email.

John, you bought the #151M out from under me a week or so ago from the auction site, right? I saw it with the Hock blade, but I snoozed and loozed.

Enjoy!

Yes, I did! Small world. It is in excellent shape. I had to work on the mouth a little and flatten the back of the chip breaker, but it works great. The Hock blade had never been used.