Thread: replacing cord on fully submersible sump pump: hints?

Blog Entries

replacing cord on fully submersible sump pump: hints?

Thread title says most of my question. My sump pump is a Flotec that has this power cord that just unscrews from the pump body revealing a plug with three contacts.

I just want to know if I need to use any sort of sealant when I install the new cord. Maybe some sort of o-ring grease?

Can't hurt to use plumbers grease on the o-ring and threads. I'd replace the o-ring with a new one since they can get compressed and then not seal well when disturbed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Can't hurt to use plumbers grease on the o-ring and threads. I'd replace the o-ring with a new one since they can get compressed and then not seal well when disturbed.
    I didn't look that carefully but I didn't see an o-ring. Hence the question.

Blog Entries
    Call Flotec & ask.

Get the model number off the unit google it to find the info, to determine if an o-ring is supposed to be there, at minimum use some pipe sealant tape or paste since it will be occasionally underwater and need sealing. The units I've been around use a FRP or plastic at that connection.

Blog Entries
    I presume that the sealing plug relies on a rubber material that is compressed around the cord as you tighten the nut, no o-ring involved. https://www.ereplacementparts.com/re...IaAuzMEALw_wcB
    NOW you tell me...

I'd use dielectric grease on the contacts. Enough to keep any seepage out, not so much that the plug won't fully seat.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

There's a UL certified submersible pump with user replaceable 120vac power cord? I never would have expected that on the US market.

Blog Entries
    Surprised me. The outer insulation on the pump had cracked leaving just the insulation on the wires. When I took it apart, I didn’t expect to find any way to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Surprised me. The outer insulation on the pump had cracked leaving just the insulation on the wires. When I took it apart, I didn’t expect to find any way to fix it.
    My mom always told me, "just because you can doesn't mean you should" And what's the cost for new? And who might come upon your repair?

Blog Entries
    If the manufacturer designed & had it certified with a replaceable cord, then I would have no problem with that. In fact, that would be the right thing to do. Why would anyone want to throw away a perfectly usable thing just because an approved, replaceable part needs to be replaced?

I have replaced cords on Hydromatic pumps along with switches

Blog Entries
    I took a closer look and there's no o-ring. the plug seems tapered just a bit. A bit of grease and it should be ok.
    This particular pump isn't in daily service. It's a backup to a backup to a backup.

I live on a property with two houses and two sumps. Each sump has a recently installed electric sump pump. Each sump also has a Liberty jet pump powered by water as a backup (I don't trust batteries). I also have a fairly new backup electric pump that I can install that someone gave me. then there is this pump. I use it to drain down the swimming pool at the end of the season and periodically during the winter.

From description, this is the same type of cord attachment that is used on millions of submersible well pumps. When you tighten down on retaining nut, it forces rubber to seal to male part of plug, located in / on pump body.