Thread: I am Batman

I am Batman

I've finally accomplished the thing only a superhero could do.....after several hours of trying to roll a link belt over with my bare hands; all while in the confines of the belly of a 20" bandsaw; I actually got it to flip. If you have ever tried this in a tight space with no room for your hands; you will send accolades of congratulations!
    It was impossible to remove the frozen on wheel without breaking the cast iron (yes, I tried a pull) so I was left with using a link belt (I don't even like them); because they are so inclined to be the wrong side up and very unforgiving in nature. Anyway, I'm off for a few days to heal my bruised up hands and voice box from cursing. Did I mention that it was too short...then too long, requiring reconnecting it several times.

IMG_4714.jpg
    Where did I put those band aids?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I’m pretty sure it’s on backwards. The printed arrows should be pointed in the direction that it runs. When I blow the pic up it looks like the arrow is pointing up, against the rotation of the wheel.

Blog Entries
    No, it's on the right way. That was just mean

Just in case it helps somebody, here's what one manufacturer of link belts says about how it should look once installed: LINK

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-17-2019 at 8:55 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Now you've got me wondering about how I mounted one of these!
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 10-18-2019 at 4:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I’m pretty sure it’s on backwards. The printed arrows should be pointed in the direction that it runs. When I blow the pic up it looks like the arrow is pointing up, against the rotation of the wheel.

The wheel moves in a clockwise direction. So the arrow should point up on the left side of the wheel. The little tabs have to lay down away from the direction of movement. Again, another reason I don't really like these things; Not to mention how expensive they are. I think I have it right....
    Where did I put those band aids?

Blog Entries
    Link belts are not a panacea, but they are a good solution to certain problems. Here's where I've used them:
    - on an old jointer that needed a new belt, but the machine had to be extensively dismantled to replace with a conventional belt. Link belt for the win
    - on a contractor saw that vibrated and slipped badly under heavy load. The link belt worked miracles here. Smooth as silk & the motor would stall before the belt slipped
    - on a new jointer, I replaced with a link belt just because they had worked so well in the past. Didn't make a bit of difference.
    - on a drill press with some vibration in the drive, the link belt made no improvement.

So, sometimes they're great, sometimes not so much. I've not had one make things any worse though.

I swear by cogged belts, never at them.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 10-19-2019 at 4:43 PM. Reason: typo

Holy roller Batman, that was a tight fix! BAM!