Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV Forstner Bits - Is this an issue?

Unhappy LV Forstner Bits - Is this an issue?

After my earlier post concerning a set of Forstner Bits, I went ahead and order a smallish set of HSS from Lee Valley. They arrived today, but a couple of the bits seem damaged to me. Please see the pics below.
    Inked20191017_122716_LI.jpgInkedResized_20191017_122926_9441_LI.jpg

If you can see them in the pictures, there a small nicks along the cutting rim on the 2 bits. Should I be concerned about this? My machine shop experience says "send the junk back", but maybe I'm being too picky. Please share your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Rob Lee reads this forum. Why don't you contact the web site.

Lee Valley Tools: Home
    https://www.leevalley.com

Blog Entries
    Definitely damaged, they are excellent about Customer Service and replacements.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lisa,
    Send them back if they dont cut right. Or if you just decide it aint ok to have nicks. LV knows that we buy from them with confidence because they will "make things right". Call them.
    Fred

If I am seeing the second picture right then I would sen them back, Nicks are not suppose to be on the ground cutting edge.

Thank you. Since the nicks are on the cutting edge of the rim, I'm returning them for an exchange. I've never had a problem with LV, so I imagine this will go smoothly.

In my experience there are three companies that stand behind what they sell with absolute 100% certainty of a hassle-free interaction should something be amiss: Lee Valley, Tools for Working Wood, and Lie Nielsen. I'm sure there are others, but they're few and far between.

LV is a good bunch and will make it right. That said, consider some Freud bits. They’re the schnizzle.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The bit on the right in particular really looks beat up. How were these packaged?

James, They actually were packaged quite well. I purchased a set which came in a wooden box and each bit had a plastic protective cover over the cutting end. That is part of the reason I queried others prior to returning them, as they were obviously in that condition when packaged.

Never mind the cutting edge; if I'm seeing it correctly in the photo on the right the entire shaft looks beat up. Could be the way you photographed it though, because I find it hard to believe this would have passed LV's quality control inspection.

I have a set of those bits that have been in use for at least 15 years. Just lately they need to get sharpened or replaced.

I don’t understand why this is an issue. They are from Lee Valley. They will make it right.

Just curious - are those the Maxicut forstner bits (which are made by Colt)? I have a set from Lee Valley, plus others from elsewhere. They are all the same high standard.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - Nope. The are the LV brand.