Thread: Index stops for a periaktoi/lazy susan/turntable

Index stops for a periaktoi/lazy susan/turntable

I'm working on props for my son's winter drumline. We'll be using three sided tall props (periaktoi) that will have a different scene on each of the three sides. These will be about 5' wide and 12' tall. I'd like to be able to spin them on a lazy susan, what I can't figure out is the best way to get them to stop and equal 120 degree increments. Thoughts so far:

1 - Use a spring loaded plunger pin and figure out how to get a sleeve into the wood for the plunger to fit in when at an index point
    2 - I think I'll be using some roller ball bearings to help support the spinning base as it will be quite wider than the lazy susan. I could drill holes at the index points for the ball bearings to sit in.
    3 - mimic the spring loaded hinged thing you'd find in a corner cabinet lazy susan and mount a "V" shaped stop at the index points

I'll happily take input on these ideas or other things you've done or seen. Thanks!

My first thought was one of the spring loaded door latches (link below) either on the edge or underside of the lazy Susan.

https://www.amazon.com/Ives-Schlage-.../dp/B009E1X39Q

I don't know if it'll have the oomph you need, but it might do the trick.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

There was a Shop Notes build of a lazy susan arrangement for hold 3 tools. Rather than using a lazy susan mechanism, they used a piece of pipe for the axis. They put a ring of material handling rollers to support the platform. I can't recall, but I think they just used a piece of dowel than dropped into a hold to hold the wheel in the proper position. This is a pic of the roller balls.
    PG86075.jpg
    I could probably find the build in my back issues, if it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    My first thought was one of the spring loaded door latches (link below) either on the edge or underside of the lazy Susan.

https://www.amazon.com/Ives-Schlage-.../dp/B009E1X39Q

I don't know if it'll have the oomph you need, but it might do the trick.
    I like that. It is similar to what i was trying to describe with the roller bearings. My idea wouldn't be springloaded, it would rely on the weight of the structure above it. I have a similar oomph concern with both of them.

How securely does the mechanism need to hold the prop in place? I've used magnets to index a lazy susan corner shelf in our kitchen. The lazy susan has a pie shaped section cut out to allow the door to close and the magnets hold it in position to allow the door to close and allow it to be spun to access the contents easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    How securely does the mechanism need to hold the prop in place? I've used magnets to index a lazy susan corner shelf in our kitchen. The lazy susan has a pie shaped section cut out to allow the door to close and the magnets hold it in position to allow the door to close and allow it to be spun to access the contents easily.
    Pretty decently secure. There will be people getting in and out of it during the show. May be talking my self into the plunger idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Berens View Post
    Pretty decently secure. There will be people getting in and out of it during the show. May be talking my self into the plunger idea.
    You could use the magnets to locate the stops and then drop the plunger.