Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LV Forstner Bits - Is this an issue?

Well, I know lots of you have had good customer service from Lee Valley, but I'm beginning to wonder if it is the right company for me to do business with. As you know, I purchased set of Forstner Bits and they arrived with nicks in the cutting edge. So far, here's the chain of events:

10/10 Placed Order

10/16 Received order with damage to edges and returned for exchange the same day.

10/24 Checked with LV and they indicated they received the return 10/22. They said they would ship in another "few" days. I indicated that this was a problem and they agreed to "expedite", but it would take extra time because they were going to check the replacements before shipping. They would e-mail or call later in the day. Heard nothing, so I just called them again. They have not shipped and probably won't get to USA until Monday/Tuesday. If the first shipment is any indication, I won't receive them until 11/4 ish.

I guess if this is "great" customer service, I will shop elsewhere. Sorry I can't be a raving fan.

If I understand your last post you checked with LV today (10/24) and they said they would get back to you later in the day. According to my calendar it's still today. I think you are being overly critical, just my opinion.

Try using this email.
    rlee@leevalley.com
    Bet you get an immediate reply!

Rob works late so could be in the evening when you hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Well, I know lots of you have had good customer service from Lee Valley....
    Sorry you're having trouble. You caught them at a real bad time. They just switched their website from very old (but well tuned) code to modern (but still needing work) code and that seems to have sucked up most of their energy. They told me it's just the website and their CS, warehouse, etc software is unchanged. But there are clearly interactions and those have been affected some too. So be cautious until the issues all play out, but don't give up on them forever. I'm sure they will be back to the level of service we expect before too long.

The roller froze on my MkII honing guide and developed a flat spot before I realized it. Totally my fault, as I hadn't oiled it for a while. I called and ordered a replacement roller, which I received in 2 business days. It came from their Sparks, NV warehouse, so that probably made it quicker. But they didn't charge me for shipping and I bought the honing guide years ago. All I will say is be patient, they're a righteous company.

Just wanted to post a quick update. In the end, I received a replacement set of the Forstner Bits and they are fantastic! I'm still a bit put off by the amount of time it took LV to turn the exchange around, but considering the new website, I can "forgive them". I will order from them again, should the need arise.

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the update.