Thread: Reading Glasses

Reading Glasses

As with everyone else, as I get older I need reading glasses. For me, it is actually worse since I had lasik surgery on my eyes 15 years ago. My far vision is great, but up close is worse than it would have been.

My challenge is finding the kind of glasses I like. I was buying mine at Wal-Mart, but as is normal, the buyers take a good product and change it so it does not work as well. I always buy the ones with normal hinges. Now, the only ones I can find have the flexible, or spring hinges. Why does it matter? Pretty simple. I wear the glasses on top of my head 70% of the time so they are always available. 80% of the time I do not have a shirt pocket, so pushing them up on my head is the best place. Spring hinges do not hold tight enough for them to stay in place.

Does anyone now where I can find glasses without the spring hinges? I have looked on line and cannot find any but spring hinges. I prefer the metal ones and cheap ones too. I break/scratch or coat with lacquer so go through 2 - 4 per month.

Thanks
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

If you're buying just off the rack, try the nearest Dollar store.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I buy mine on eBay and like the ones with a wire frame and large lenses, which make for better safety glasses.

Looks like;

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/0/5...04280261_o.jpg
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Same issue with me: Lasik in 2008, need reading glasses. Try Warby Parker. They are my "beater" frames: All plastic and sturdy but still somewhat stylish. I have a straight-correction pair for driving, progressives for office, and near-correction for reading. Good luck.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I laughed reading your post. I'm sitting here in Mr. Chair with my Dollar Tree reading glasses on top of my head. And yes, I did a quick check to make sure they weren't spring hinged. They are cheap as as well as inexpensive and the lovely tortoise shell finish will start to flake off in time if I don't break or loose them first. They are $1 a pair and I generally buy 3 or 4 pair at once because I generally misplace or loose them entirely. They last as long as if not longer than much more expensive ones I've gotten at Walmart or Walgreens.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    I break/scratch or coat with lacquer so go through 2 - 4 per month.
    Mine tend to last in the range of years. Some of the lower power ones are sitting abandoned all around being replaced by stronger pairs.

If you go through them as quick as you say, the Dollar Tree sounds like the place to visit.

My suggestion was going to be to buy the kind with a magnet in the bridge. They hang by a lanyard around you neck and then click together over the nose when you need them.

Searching > reading glasses with magnet < brought up a lot of them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I buy mine at Walgreens.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I laughed reading your post. I'm sitting here in Mr. Chair with my Dollar Tree reading glasses on top of my head. And yes, I did a quick check to make sure they weren't spring hinged. They are cheap as as well as inexpensive and the lovely tortoise shell finish will start to flake off in time if I don't break or loose them first. They are $1 a pair and I generally buy 3 or 4 pair at once because I generally misplace or loose them entirely. They last as long as if not longer than much more expensive ones I've gotten at Walmart or Walgreens.
    Some of mine last longer, in fact I have two pair in my work vehicle, but I don't use them except for when I forget a good pair. They are scratched and a fair splattering of white tinted lacquer. They work, but I prefer ones without the spots.

I bought a couple from Dollar Tree, but man they are cheap. Not sure if the legs are strong enough to keep them on my head. I will check Walgreens and the others suggested here. I am happy to pay $3-4 per pair if they will stay on my head and handle some abuse, like daily straightening from hitting them on something.

Oh the travail of getting older. Guess it is better than the alternative.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

My current drivers license is good through my 73rd birthday without glasses. I hope my eyes will be able to pass next time too. So far, so good. In my younger years, I was always ever so slightly near-sighted (not quite bad enough to need glasses), but the near-sightedness has gone out to the point that I now have normal vision. I can still read the fine print on the bottom of an eye chart (not the letters to be read for the test).

I only wear readers when I'm TIG welding some small thing, so I can get my face really close, and the field of view is larger, covering a small area, than without the glasses.

While more then $1, a lot of people I know swear by the magnetic reading glasses https://www.clicmagneticglasses.com/ I haven't picked up a pair yet, but eventually will try them out.

We have 2 pairs of ThinOptics reading glasses that come in handy at times. They rest on your nose and lightly grip it. They work better for my LOML, while when I wear them they have a tendency to pop off because my skin is drier. https://www.thinoptics.com/headline-reading-glasses
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I had LASIK at 09:30 17 January 2003 myself. I use reading glasses and "standardized" on the Flex2 products from Selectavision. They are available at Amazon, Bed, Bath and Beyond's FaceValues (great price with coupons), etc. What I love about them is that I can even put them in a pant's pocket (in their little woven case) and they WILL NOT BREAK.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

After years of using off the rack reading glasses from Dollar General, I decided to splurge and get some prescription glasses at the local eye doctor. Paid almost 400 dollars and they are terrible, even after taking them back for a re-do. The frames were over a hundred dollars. So I was sitting around the other night looking at a pair of my five dollar glasses sitting next to my expensive glasses and noticed the frames looked alike. Further examination revealed they are the exact same frames exept that the expensive frames had "Guess" stamped into them on the inside of the ears. I'm still pissed. Live and learn. In response to Guess, I should add STUPID!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I stopped in at CVS to see what they had, and bingo, just what I wanted...well almost. They had a three pack of metal framed glasses without spring hinges. The only drawback is that I want 1.75 as I have been using 1.5s, but they don't carry that size. They have 1.0, 1.25, 1.5 then jump to 2.0.

I gave up and bought the 2.0 so I have some and will try them, but I think they will be a bit strong for a year or two.

John Steinbeck