Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ripping Blade

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    If you really want to use that piece of pinching wood, you can do a partial thickness rip from each side of the timber and then finish the final cut through with a hand saw. Like Jaime says, you are travelling in a dangerous territory if you are blowing fuses. I'm not so sure a new WW blade will solve the problem.
    The breaker on the saw tripped because the motor was overheating. The wood had a lot of tension in it and was closing past the riving knife. It was never pinching on the blade.

I was able to use my new Forrest WWII 20 tooth this weekend. Wow. It's like I have a new saw. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    I was able to use my new Forrest WWII 20 tooth this weekend. Wow. It's like I have a new saw. Love it.
    Yea....aggressive as heck. Leaves some marks, but it will power through when more teeth will not do the job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Seems like the problem is solved but I will add one more thought. I use a SawStop PCS with the 1.75 hp motor and have also tripped the motor overload once with a piece of oak, 1 inch thick, that was pinching the back of the blade despite the splitter. IMHO, one of the issues is the splitter is about right for a thin kerf blade but thin for a full kerf blade. I would like to have a 0.1 inch thick splitter but I have only seen them from Shark Guard and I am not ready to get one of those. I currently have a cheap Wen thin kerf on the saw and it works fine with the stock splitter. But my main tip is when the wood is pinching, put a tapered edge scrap in the kerf to force it to stay open. I've done that a couple times successfully since to avoid issues.

I also agree with the comments about wood that reacts this way. But I often do not want to take the time to go get more wood and start over. So I use what I have if the issue is not too bad.