Thread: New Band Saw Tires

New Band Saw Tires

Howdy, I've got an old Skil 3104 3 wheel band saw that could use new tires. Easy enough to get but $30 bucks seems a little pricey for them.
    Anyone know where I can get some cheaper? Thanks :-)

I bought a set of the blue Bandsawtirewarehouse tyres for my 11" Shopsmith bandsaw. Came with a simple installation tool. I followed the well written instruction, re-tyred my bandsaw, put a 1/2 re-saw blade on it. Been running all sorts of hardwood planks through since without any troubles. Well worth the $30 I spent.

I'm surprised they cost that little, honestly...particularly if they are quality saw tires.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Bandsawtirewarehouse tyres don't require adhesive, that makes them worth every penny to me. No mess, no slip, sizes for all obscure models, what's not to like?

If you aren't already aware of it, there are 2 types of tires.

The original tires on most low-end bandsaws are rubber and usually require adhesive to keep them in place on the wheels.

I just replaced my original tires with urethane tires (many times blue but I believe some companies have other colors). These tires require no adhesive. You only need to heat them up to close to 120 degrees in hot water (usually hot water directly from your tap is close to 120) so that they can more easily be stretched around the wheels. Urethane tires last longer, seem to hold the blade in place better, and may decrease vibration and sound slightly.

The urethane tires would be my preference after having installed them and used the bandsaw with them on for a short time. They are extremely easy to install merely be stretching them over the wheels and making sure they are seated inside the rims completely.They do seem to grab the blade better. I don't know about noise and vibration but they are definitely at least the same as rubber and will last longer. They generally come with directions, but there are various videos on YouTube, including maybe the best one from the Wood Whisperer.

You can buy these from a variety of companies, including Carter Bandsaw Products and the online companies already indicated in previous responses. My Carter's were bought on sale at Woodcraft for under $20 apiece; so about $40 total. The rubber tires would most likely only be about $10 less and are much more difficult to install and require adhesive.

When removing your old tires, if they are rubber, there will be a large amount of adhesive residue remaining. All of the remaining adhesive must be removed with a solvent. Denatured alcohol works but is less effecien than acetone or some other noxious chemical. Regardless, wiping the wheels with denatured alcohol at the end is a good idea since alcohol leaves no residue.