Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Dado Brake Issues - Any Tips?

Sawstop Dado Brake Issues - Any Tips?

I'm headed to gym right now to blow off some steam because I just spent 2.5-3 hours roughly trying to get a dado brake to work with no luck.

Only reason I need the dado brake right now is so I can cut a slot in one of the removable inserts in the Infinity zero clearance insert. I need to make a 45 cut in one of the blanks.

So I slapped on the dado brake and a dewalt 8" dado single blade and adjusted the brake so it scraped a nickel on the top of the brake where it's closer. I got it adjusted, flipped the switch and got the error code. I kept adjusting in and out with no luck. I then read that for some reason it might be the riving knife housing, that it might be too low. I loosened the riving knife housing, flipped the switch and got the green light. Cool! I then cranked it to 45 degrees to make my cut and error code came back on

I then spent probably 45min-hour moving the brake in and out and moving the riving knife housing up and down without any luck at all. I unplugged the saw. Plugged it back in. Nothing.

I don't know what to do. I'd like to be able to use a dado stack.

5hp CB 52" Saw by the way.

Any tips?

I'm not sure if I turn the saw on, get the error code if it will go away if I move the brake in and out AND the riving knife housing up and down. Kind of at a loss.

Tomorrow I'm going to throughly blow out the area of sawdust and see if I can mess around with it. I'm also going to give sawstop a call and see what they say.

It's also frustrating that Infinity tools and the guy that created the zero clearance insert, they made it hard to do the initial cut for a 45 degree insert. A 10" blade doesn't fit before the slot is cut. I'm not sure what they were thinking. They should have had a relief cut in the bottom.
    Last edited by Patrick Irish; 10-17-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    About 15 minutes into that process I would’ve used override mode. I am definitely curious to hear what Sawstop has to say though so please report back.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-17-2019 at 1:02 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Which error code is it giving you? There are some types of Dado blades that are not recommended for use with the SawStop due to incompatibilities with the brake system - I don't know the details on which ones those are. You could also try calling sawstop tech support - if needed they can instruct you how to obtain the "advanced" error codes which can really provide more detailed information on what the issue is. Using bypass mode may or may not work - but worth a shot. I had similar issues with my sawstop. Once it was the brake system cable. Some time later I could not make any cuts with any blade on the saw, due a faulty lack-of-blade-rotation detector. I had to replace the whole arbor, which involved taking apart practically the whole saw, which finally solved all my issues.

Good luck
    SB

Blog Entries
    The 1st thing I'd have done is call tech support. They likely would have it sorted out quickly for you. I have the Infinity insert & haven't had any problem with the initial cut. As I recall, you have to remove the riving knife to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The 1st thing I'd have done is call tech support. They likely would have it sorted out quickly for you. I have the Infinity insert & haven't had any problem with the initial cut. As I recall, you have to remove the riving knife to do it.
    Strongly agree if it is not obvious what the problem is. One reason for buying sawstop is because of their excellent tech support.

I have heard that safety blades dfefeat the saw stop. there is not enough gullet depth for the brake lever to jam in and stop it . I did not think it would be sensed on startup just if it fired and failed to stop.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have heard that safety blades dfefeat the saw stop. there is not enough gullet depth for the brake lever to jam in and stop it . I did not think it would be sensed on startup just if it fired and failed to stop.
    Bill D
    Those blades won't throw an error code, they just won't stop quite as fast if the brake is triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    About 15 minutes into that process I would’ve used override mode. I am definitely curious to hear what Sawstop has to say though so please report back.
    I second that!

I don't think I can go into bypass mode if on initial start up the saw doesn't recognize the brake to blade distance is correct.

I thought I had it this morning. I cleaned the 8" dado blade with acetone thinking it's a connectivity issue. Adjusted the brake so it's nicking the head of nickel. Flipped the switch and got the green light. I cranked it over to 45 degrees. Put the infinity insert in, put a 2x4 on top to help keep insert down and cut clean. Started cranking and going well. I got nervous and wanted to check how close the cut was to the aluminum plate. Looked good. Put the insert back in, flipped the switch and now it's giving me brake adjustment error.

I then put a standard brake in and 10" blade and was fine, then I cranked it to 45 degrees and brake adjustment error came on.
    Last edited by Patrick Irish; 10-19-2019 at 1:31 PM.

Why not give their CS department a call?! They are excellent and can walk you through this on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Why not give their CS department a call?! They are excellent and can walk you through this on the phone.
    I did. Was on the phone with them for 45 min yesterday. They sent me a voltage step by step to rule out switch box issues. I did that and my switch box is good to go.

I think it's a brake cartridge cable. Can't think of anything else. I'll call monday as the motor and electrical box are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post

I think it's a brake cartridge cable. Can't think of anything else.
    I assume that's the cable that goes to the brake? If that was the problem, wouldn't you have the same issue with the regular brake and blade?

T

I agree, when I had brake cable issues it did not work in any position. However, the brake cable moves with the arbor at that end, so it is at least theoretically possible that there could be a short or open circuit somewhere in the cable which is worse with the cable in that position. Does it occur only at 45 degrees? For example, does it work fine at 30 or 40 degrees of tilt? Have you tried different blade heights at 45 deg?

SB

Saw works fine at 45 deg with standard brake and blade.

Customer service said the cable isn't necessary an all or nothing issue so it's possible that's the problem. Might have a faulty dado brake too. Cheaper to try the cable ($25) but much faster/easier to try a new dado brake ($100).

Anyone locally have a CLEAR dado brake cartridge I can borrow? I'm in northern cali.

I suppose I could just order both really and then if it's the cable I have a backup brake?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Saw works fine at 45 deg with standard brake and blade.

Customer service said the cable isn't necessary an all or nothing issue so it's possible that's the problem. Might have a faulty dado brake too. Cheaper to try the cable ($25) but much faster/easier to try a new dado brake ($100).

Anyone locally have a CLEAR dado brake cartridge I can borrow? I'm in northern cali.

I suppose I could just order both really and then if it's the cable I have a backup brake?
    Hi Patrick,
    If I had your saw, I would go ahead and order both of them. Just get it done and get back to making some parts. You can always use the extra one for spare parts down the road.
    David