Thread: Chisel Gloat

Chisel Gloat

Kikuhiromaru_set.jpgHey Guys,

Just picked up a set of what are billed as Kikuhiromaru chisels on Ebay. I don't know all that much, I have a bunch of Japanese tools, but I am no connoisseur. I know Kiku chisels are simple - and these are gorgeously simple - if that isn't an oxymoron. I own a beautiful set of Chitturo Imai Sword Steel chisels that are absolutely beautiful, but these are beautiful in their simplicity where the Imai set is a piece of art.

Just wanted to get your opinion. Anybody else have Kiku chisels?

I'm sorry - I don't see how to post a pic - I am a contributor - but I have no link or button to add a pic. What gives - nm I figured it out..

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Beaulieu; 10-16-2019 at 7:02 PM. Reason: Add pics

Blog Entries
    Looks good, now that you figured out how to post images how about some action shots with the chisels?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Show off

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks good, now that you figured out how to post images how about some action shots with the chisels?

jtk

Gotta set the hoops and sharpen them up first Jim, but soon.

Brian Holcomb - arent you a big Kiku guy? I was hoping you could chime in and tell me if these are really Kiku chisels. I just don't know enough. They are very well built chisels. I got the set for short money, so I am guessing they are knock-offs, but I don't know. Regardless, they are very nice simple chisels. They seem to be much higher quality than the run of the mill chisels I have bought one offs of on EBay prior to this. Please either chime in or PM me and let me know what you think.

Joe B.

I also remember Derek C. is a fan of Kiku, I'm sure he will put in his thoughts soon as well.

Blog Entries
    Compare the stamp to the one on my website’s chisel guide.

Nice looking set, I have quite a number of hours on mine, enjoy them.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamone LaChaud View Post
    I also remember Derek C. is a fan of Kiku, I'm sure he will put in his thoughts soon as well.
    The only way we will know is if I examine them directly. Send them to me. If they are fakes, I’ll dispose of them for you. Yeah, right

I know squat about Kiku ... other than they are superior chisels and that Brian (who has superior taste) has them.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Joe,

I believe I purchased the same set, #2 White steel, about 3 years ago and have found them to be great users, especially for the price (something like $35 or $40 each). I don't have any high-end Japanese stuff (yet), so can not make direct comparisons. Let us know how they work out when you get a chance.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra