Thread: So, Trotec buys Engravers Network--

So, Trotec buys Engravers Network--

--which sells Universal, Vision and FiberEtch equipment...

Have to wonder what Universal, Vision and FiberEtch have to say about that? Seems to be a bit of a conflict of interest, but whaddoIknow?

--any thoughts?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You assuming they will continue selling them?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Nah, that won't happen, but I've been wondering about Universal, been getting several 'Universal Lasers On Sale!' emails lately; wondering it they're losing too much biz to the Chinese. I don't really know...

6 of my bigger customers started out as 3 companies, where someone from each company left and started a competing company. Since I do all the engraving for all of them, I'm always getting the latest gossip, which gets interesting at times. Might be fun to listen in to the goings-on at the new Engravers Nework about now

Hopefully everyone will benefit
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

This is not Trotec's first foray into associated fields. My recollection is that they acquired a distributor in Florida a few years back. I believe it was a Universal distributor.

From my limited experience, Engravers Network was a company I liked to do business with.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have zero knowledge about this transaction, I learned about it from you Kev, but years ago when we bought our Universal at the time, I became friends with the dealer. He was a good guy (still is). At that time Universal gave him his territory and no one crossed into other's territory. It allowed him to make a living selling Universal lasers. Then, out of no where, Universal started selling to wholesale sign suppliers for resale and slashed the money he could make. He told me they had cut him down to $600 per machine. He said by the time he took the initial call, did the demo, provided the quote, handled the sale, showed up and installed the machine, and then fielded any questions that he wasn't making any money. He sold his business and went into some other aspect of the business as a sales manager. For Universal, it seemed like lasers were a commodity. They didn't seem to appreciate the value of a skilled sales force and installation team.

Trotec is very well run and they have grown exponentially since we first started dealing with them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It's like Land Rover and Jaguar.

Different markets.

Trotec are Jaguar, UL are Land Rover.

They don't compete as much as they fill different niches.
    Last edited by Mike Thornbury; 10-19-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    Homemade 6W 900x500mm diode engraver
    600x900mm Reci W4 with Ruida 6442G
    300x200mm 50W desktop hacked to bits with mods
    ...waiting on a 1325 Reci W8...

screenshot of all I know about it

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter