Thread: "Shifting Meridian"

"Shifting Meridian"

Hello everyone Here is my latest piece,
    " Shifting Meridian"
    This piece stands 22 inches tall and is 9 inches at it's widest point. It is made from Walnut with cherry stripes and it has a lacquer finish. The open air ribs are over 2 1/2 inches long and 5/16 of an inch wide. This was my biggest challenge yet for a open air project. C&C welcome
    https://www.facebook.com/serenityartisans/
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Beautiful!!!!

Thank you very much Sam.

I don't see small flaws as any problem ,especially on complicated pieces. But perfection is good,too. Congratulations !

You have a lot going on there and it looks like it all came together well. The segments, open segments, layer ring, diagonal sections, and top carving. Great job. Finish good also. You did not show bottom or top view but expect well done also.

Thank you Mel and Thomas here are a few photos of the top & bottom and the ring around the base of the neck.

Another beautiful piece Bruce! And the finish just is frosting on the cake!

I keep trying to imagine what the glued-up blank looked like before you turned it - any chance you have a picture? I'd be very interested to see how the open air ribs were set up before you shaped them and a pic of the blank would help. For example, which way is the end grain oriented - is it facing the gap between the ribs?

Geez, I was just reading the thread about Turning addictions, and thought "Nope, not me. Turning's only something I do when I need a handle for a hand tool." And then you show me the technical challenge of making something I cant quite figure out how to do. ....... I have enough addictions (hobbies) already.......
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank you very much Fred... I do have some photos I'll post them. The segmenting does require a bit of thought and imagination. for this piece the open air ribs blank was a parallelogram at about 15 degrees then 70 5/16" slices were cut and sanded from the saw cut to 320 grit on both sides (140) sides sanded. these pieces were cut straight that is why there is a taper in the slot from cutting the sphere, plus the angle inward to the center making the gap smaller as you cut in. I glued up this piece with thin CA and sealed the inside end grain all the grain on this pieces runs sideways except the neck it runs up & down., the top and bottom are solid pieces.... look here.
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 10-18-2019 at 8:17 AM.

Thank you Bruce!

And you did this beautiful work on the very same inexpensive HF lathe I've got - that's amazing. It proves once again that well-developed skills can trump expensive tools. Thanks for showing me that.

Look forward to seeing your next piece!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thank you Bruce!

And you did this beautiful work on the very same inexpensive HF lathe I've got - that's amazing. It proves once again that well-developed skills can trump expensive tools. Thanks for showing me that.

Look forward to seeing your next piece!
    Fred
    Thanks again Fred I do all my work with the most basic power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Thank you Mel and Thomas here are a few photos of the top & bottom and the ring around the base of the neck.
    Additional views only increase my awe for all the detail and quality of this work. Excellent piece.

Thank you very much Thomas. It's amazing to me how on some other forums they don't care for much of my work at all, I guess that's just the way it is with art. I have a few new involved pieces in the works I'll post them here when complete.