Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What material for push block?

What material for push block?

My push blocks are loosing there gripping material. I have in the past replace this material with router pad material. This has worked okay but not great.

What have you used that works well for push blocks?

I use different materials for different kinds of push blocks. It would be helpful to know what kind of push blocks you are using.

Mending plates work good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    My push blocks are loosing there gripping material. I have in the past replace this material with router pad material. This has worked okay but not great.

Hi Matthew,
    These really work great! I use them for my jointer and router table. The red foam material grabs the wood better than any of the others I have used and worn out in the past.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

push blocks.jpg

When I want to make a weird troll-like little push block for an unusual situation, I snip off a piece of this:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...riction-sheets

It seems to work well. It's not expensive. Maybe this will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    I use different materials for different kinds of push blocks. It would be helpful to know what kind of push blocks you are using.
    I use it for jointer and router table work. I have difficulty keeping the grippy material stuck to the block. It just wants to peel off after a while.

Again, I highly recommend the items I mentioned in my previous post. Even though they are not intended for woodworking, I find these great for the applications you just mentioned. If you don't like the handles, you can always remove the foam pads and cut and glue to your desired push blocks.
    David

Blog Entries
    Mouse pads work well and don't cost much. Use 3M spray adhesive to hold them in place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Matthew,
    These really work great! I use them for my jointer and router table. The red foam material grabs the wood better than any of the others I have used and worn out in the past.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

push blocks.jpg

2nd these as push blocks. They work especially great for resawing, but are nice to use on every machine I have. Have 4 of them scattered about.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    When I want to make a weird troll-like little push block for an unusual situation, I snip off a piece of this:

Thanks for the link Doug. Have been looking for sheets like this.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post

How durable is this for you. That is very similar to what I am doing now.

I have a number of pushblocks made from wood, but for small pieces through the table saw, this is my go-to. Expensive, but very helpful. https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lyman View Post
    I have a number of pushblocks made from wood, but for small pieces through the table saw, this is my go-to. Expensive, but very helpful. https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper
    Love the Gripper! You could DIY something but it wouldn't work as well.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    How durable is this for you. That is very similar to what I am doing now.
    If your push blocks are wearing out you may want to look at your machine surface prep or your technique. You are probably fine but, just in case . . . You shouldn't have to push the material over the machine as if you were pushing a refrigerator up a flight of stairs. Keep your tables waxed and your cutters sharp. You want to 'feed' the material, not 'shove' the material; this can lead to accidents. If your material is large, long or heavy, proper infeed and outfeed support should still allow you to move it across the machine easily. If your material is on a very rough state then what Matt mentions may be the way to go. I think he means these as opposed to these. Or maybe he means something else entirely.

I agree with Erik:

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Love the Gripper! You could DIY something but it wouldn't work as well.

Erik
    I am still using the original Grr-Ripper I bought at a show back in 2005 and have added a couple more. You need to be aware that people have a very polarized opinion on these; they love them or hate them with very few folks in the middle. They are an integral part of how I do things but, this can become true of a lot of accessories. I have a scattering of shop made push blocks for different special reasons but, the Grr-Ripper covers 90% of my needs in this area. YMMV.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-16-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I make then from 2x4's and add a shoe. 1" dowel angled forward for handle.

I make a few at a time, resurface once or twice and throw them away when they're too chewed up.