Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: restoring a powermatic 15HH

Good progress this weekend - got the threaded rods that move the table out.

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

Got the gearbox open finally. It smelled like *$% inside.

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

Cutterhead out. Deeply satisfying to actually accomplish this. I let the cutter head drop accidentally and lost 2 more carbide cutters.

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg
    Last edited by Thomas Crawford; 10-21-2019 at 1:13 PM.

Tools I could not have done this without:

1) Gear puller (harbor freight)
    2) Snap ring pliers (craftsman)
    3) My Spin Doctor bicycle tools for the hex socket heads
    4) A piece of wood and my dead blow mallet

IMG_3968.jpg

Looking good!

I’ve never seen a spiral cutterhead with so many busted cutters. You’re replacing them all right?

Looks like a super-cool project, especially if it was a good deal. How much? I love restoration projects that yield very useful in the end. I green...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Looking good!

I’ve never seen a spiral cutterhead with so many busted cutters. You’re replacing them all right?
    I chipped a few of them myself. Otherwise the previous owner said they tried to run a gnarly knotted piece of wood through it and broke a few.

At first I just bought a 10-pack for $45, but I'm thinking for safety reasons I should probably just do all of them. I'm sure some are fine but there are definitely hairline cracks in some.

Any opinions? They've never been rotated so it would be nice to salvage some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Looks like a super-cool project, especially if it was a good deal. How much? I love restoration projects that yield very useful in the end. I green...
    I'm in about $1100 so far with delivery. Another $75 in tools but I don't count that I see them a couple times a year for $2200-2400 used that normally need a good cleaning. I probably paid too much now that I have it completely apart.

I figure worst case with the parts I need to replace I'd top out around $1500

Do not discount the educational value of what you are doing. You will know and understand how that thing works. Plus you know that all bearings,seals etc are good to go. I would have done it. (I have many times ).There is something about this process that excites me,I would fell cheated with a 'plug and play'machine. In my shop I smile every time I use one of the 'projects' that I went through before it was ready for woodworking. The other reality for me is that I would have 1/3 of the machines I have now if I had to pay full price for them.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how long I should soak the cutter head in evaporust? Doing things overnight would speed up the process but I'm not sure if that is overkill or what the side effects are if its in too long. It will be submerged in a PVC pipe.

I usually soak overnight. I’ve left parts in the soak for 3 days without issue.

Usually after i take it out, I dry it then chuck it up on my lathe (woodworking) and go from about 350g up to 1000g to really clean/shine it up. Not needed but it looks good and I enjoy doing it. At least rub it down with some scotch brite.

More progress - everything is out now, including the kickback pawls still shown. De-rusting is going great, its all surface rust.

IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_3998.jpg

I'm stuck here. Could use some advice on how to drill these out. I tried every trick I could find of pounding bigger bits in, etc. I finally started to just drill them but at this rate I'll go through $100 of drill bits.

One stuck on the top, one stuck on the bottom (of course):

IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg

this is what is stuck in there, M10 socket set screw:
    IMG_4020.jpg

Start with a left handed bit. They typically end up backing the screw right out.

I agree with John, but you don’t have much for the bit to grab so it might not work. You may end up needing to drill them out and hoping you don’t bugger up the threads. If you do, drill the hole one size bigger and tap new threads.

Surprised you stripped an M10 to be honest. Sure you were using metric Allen keys?

Cutterhead looks good!