Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hema UH 630 Bandsaw

Hema UH 630 Bandsaw

My search for a bandsaw eventually led me to the conclusion that a 24 inch wheel saw was all that I had room for, unfortunately ruling out some nice 30+ inch saws that I looked at like a centauro 800 and and Northfield 32 as well as an Oliver 217. I looked at a new minimax s600p and liked it quite a bit, but not enough to give up searching for a used saw.

Yesterday I found a Hema 630 (25 inch) only 3 hours away. It was formerly used in the US treasury for some purpose and came without a fence. 25 inches form the column and 20 to the guides. A two speed three phase motor. It has a nice cast table and and 45 to -5 tilt. Built in 1988. Just got it unloaded into the shop and cleaned.

From what I can gather Hema is a German company in business for the last 90 years and their primary product appears to be bandsaws.

Has anyone used or seen one? It seems to be quite a high quality machine.

Here are the photos.

Saw with the table off waiting to be lowered.

D27AC0F5-CE30-4DD7-A07E-4923EA9ACF35.jpg

All set up in the shop.
    55F80F66-6674-4DA9-8334-2A1A9A7CC85F.jpg
    Trunnion.
    7A32EB9B-12FB-4920-ABC4-EC0C017D3680.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds and looks like an awesome machine!

Found this post that might be of interest. Sounds like you have a Mercedes!
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....dsaw-Pre-Gloat

I have a Hema. They are well built saws, far and above in quality than my Aggazani. Does yours have the fold down miter? I wish mine was 3 phase. This one came through Mahogany Masterpieces in the 80s. Another company imported them also. Burke or something like that. They are still in business in Germany with parts still available. I like the guides but the owner of the company claims they make their own guides now that are better.
    7B837268-B310-4C5B-8CAB-90A8FBD9808A.jpg
    5EBD6B9A-1F97-487B-8830-BF578046EE4F.jpg

Matt,

Thanks for sharing that thread. As soon as I get the electrical figured out I will be happy. It has five wires with two running to the y on a four prong plug. I can't tell if it is Y or Delta motor.

Joe,

That is an amazing miter gauge. I wish mine had come with one. I might have to contact Burke or Hema themselves about it. I was looking at their website and they have a lot of different and nice looking guides. The ones on it are made by Panhans and seem quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    Matt,

Thanks for sharing that thread. As soon as I get the electrical figured out I will be happy. It has five wires with two running to the y on a four prong plug. I can't tell if it is Y or Delta motor.
    Its probably wye start, delta run.

Blog Entries
    That’s a beautiful saw, very nice find. Not sure what the treasury needed with it, but they have excellent taste in bandsaws.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Joe Calhoun, what is that big blue beast behind your green beauty?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    My search for a bandsaw eventually led me to the conclusion that a 24 inch wheel saw was all that I had room for, unfortunately ruling out some nice 30+ inch saws that I looked at like a centauro 800 and and Northfield 32 as well as an Oliver 217. I looked at a new minimax s600p and liked it quite a bit, but not enough to give up searching for a used saw.

Yesterday I found a Hema 630 (25 inch) only 3 hours away. It was formerly used in the US treasury for some purpose and came without a fence. 25 inches form the column and 20 to the guides. A two speed three phase motor. It has a nice cast table and and 45 to -5 tilt. Built in 1988. Just got it unloaded into the shop and cleaned.

From what I can gather Hema is a German company in business for the last 90 years and their primary product appears to be bandsaws.

Has anyone used or seen one? It seems to be quite a high quality machine.

That's a nice looking saw!
    David

Hema Band Saw.jpg

Well done. It is a great feeling to find such a well built machine and know you paid a fraction of what new and inferior would have cost. Dave

Thanks gents, I look forward to many years of enjoyable sawing on it.

Dave, you have hit the nail on the head. And the hunting makes it all the sweeter.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Joe Calhoun, what is that big blue beast behind your green beauty?
    Mike, that is a Aggazani 36” saw with a resaw feeder.

Michael,
    Did you get the nice cast iron rip fence with your Hema?

Joe,

Unfortunately there were no fences that came with the saw. There was one in the picture they posted to sell it so I had to settle for a discount. Would have preferred the fence.

Michael, did you ever find a fence for your saw?
    Still waters run deep.