Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheet goods for Exterior Door

Lightbulb Sheet goods for Exterior Door

I'm going to build an exterior house door that will be a flat slab door veneered on both sides. What type of sheet good would be suitable for the core of the door? Seems like I've heard of an exterior rated particle board or MDF type product but the name escapes me. Anyone have some insight on appropriate materials for this? Thanks.

John

We recently had that long thread about EXTERA mdf. Good product ,but heavy. The painted canvas treatment would
    allow many types of material.

Hi,
    I was going to respond with a suggestion to consider MDO or Extira, but thought I would do some searching to be sure I am not giving you bogus suggestions. I ended up finding a thread on this subject where at least one respondent reported good experience with Extira and others discuss MDO. There's even a posting in the thread from someone with a very similar name to yours. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-exterior-door

Blog Entries
    Medex is one brand of water resistant MDF.

Thanks Mel and Edwin. I forgot about that thread; good info in there. That guy with the name like mine is my evil twin.

John

Medite Tricoya?
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Extiera is one brand of exterior rated MDF. I used it recently for an architectural reproduction project for a client. It's easy to work with but darn heavy, especially the 1.25" thick version I was using for corbels. It's suitable for veneering or other treatments but must be be finished if exposed. You can source it from the same sheet goods suppliers where cabinet grade products are also bought. You may or may not need to special order the thicker varieties.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    See this link. Cypress or fir would be my choice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hrome&ie=UTF-8

THanks Eric. Is Tricoya available in the US?

Jim, the specs. bear out what you and others have said about the weight of Extira MDF. MDO, BB ply or Apply ply may end up being more practical choices just from a weight standpoint, although I really like how flat and stable composite sheet goods are.

I'm interested in looking into an insulated core construction, something Larry E. talked about in the other thread. That might be something like a 1/2" of foam insulation in a ladder core with 1/2" of one of the sheet goods glued to both sides, then 1/8" veneers glued to that on both sides. Anyone have any details, do's/don't's they'd like to offer?

John

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    See this link. Cypress or fir would be my choice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Thanks Lowell. The veneer and trim will be Sapele. That was a decision already made by the customer. Sorry I didn't point that out earlier.

John

John,

Have you sought advice from your lumber supplier? When questions like this come up for me, I usually ask mine for some input.
    Depending on how sophisticated your supplier is, they probably have a person or two who are very knowledgeable about the most current industry offerings, performance specifications, what others good customers use in your application, etc.
    Just a thought, and at a cost of no more than a phone call.

Edwin

I would never trust the work in an exterior door to an exterior MDF. MDO all the way. Ive drilled a hole in that stuff and tied a rope to it, tossed it in the creek for a week or two. Unphased. I have a hand painted sign on the front of the shop painted with rustoleum from the home center. in 10 years its barely showing age. I dont know whats in that stuff but its bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    THanks Eric. Is Tricoya available in the US?
    These guys anywhere near you?

http://www.rexlumber.com/

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    These guys anywhere near you?

http://www.rexlumber.com/

Erik
    No, but I might be able to get it from them through a local millwork shop. Thanks for the additional info.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I would never trust the work in an exterior door to an exterior MDF. MDO all the way. Ive drilled a hole in that stuff and tied a rope to it, tossed it in the creek for a week or two. Unphased. I have a hand painted sign on the front of the shop painted with rustoleum from the home center. in 10 years its barely showing age. I dont know whats in that stuff but its bulletproof.

I've used MDO on a couple of projects with good success and have nothing against it. It's not as dead flat as the MDF and particle board type panels but it does have great screw holding ability. With the construction I'm thinking about, ladder core, I don't think that would be of concern, but I appreciate and value your input as one of the guys on here with lots of first hand experience and insight into what works and why.

John