Occasionally these are discussed here at SMC, but I use small planes often for detail work; leveling stringing or banding, small chamfering, and the like. I have two at the moment; the LN 101 and the LV miniature block plane.

Let me say, the LV miniature block plane is not a toy. It sharpens up well, adjusts just like its bigger cousins and is a joy to use on detail work. Likewise, the LN 101 performs very well. The LN 101 has a relatively wide mouth, and some caution is needed with complex grain...but for most of my use, a good sharpening keeps it working quite well. I have not found a need to close the mouth...but Derek Cohen has an excellent post in how to do so.

Both are quality made. Minor back flattening and bevel honing is all that is needed. Both are easily used one handed, although, I find myself applying some light pressure to the front with my other hand. They have good feedback...in other words, easy to feel the wood, know when there is some resistance and back off when necessary.

I’m only posting to say if you do small detail work from time to time, these are great tools at a relatively modest cost to add to the arsenal.

35C75DEC-5BB5-43C4-88EA-FAC3A7617B1A.jpg