Thread: Mirka Deros dying or dead?

Mirka Deros dying or dead?

My Deros sander has stopped working, turning off every few seconds in use. Sometimes the lights go off and I need to turn the power back on, it occasionally flashes a red light when it stops. It does the same thing if I just hold the sander up in the air, so not under any load. Behavior is the same whether it's plugged into the vacuum or into a wall outlet, checked voltage at the outlet and it's fine. See video linked below for the behavior.

Any idea what is wrong, and how to fix it?

The sander has seen only very light hobby use, but is, I'm sure, out of warranty. There's no service center in this part of the country. This is certainly disappointing. The thing sounds like a meat grinder when it's working, now it's not working, not what I was hoping for the amount of money it cost.

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Verdana">
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-HfUiEQMg
    Last edited by roger wiegand; 02-04-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add video

I think they come with w 2+1 warranty. If you activated it it should have a 3 year warranty. Sounds horrible though. Not sure if it's just the recording or not. I have the Ceros and it certainly doesn't sound like that.

Sounds like the foam pad is coming apart to me. Looks like some deterioration on the edges of the pad too. Take the pad off and run it, see if it's quiet then. It appears like you are really pressing down hard, do you?

The power light is green. If you stress the sander it turns red. I've never had mine shut down before but I have gotten the power light to turn red.

But if you are letting it freespin and it shuts down then something is wrong with the power supply inside the handle. If you look at your paperwork you should be able to find an email address or phone number you can call to find out about warranty repairs or non-warranty repairs. Either one should be less expensive than a new sander.

My Ceros went in 2x for repairs. 1st time a circuit board blew and it didn't work. 2nd time was a recall and I sent it back without any issues to get the circuit board replaced again. Been good since then. Hope it doesn't die because I'd much rather have the Ceros than the Deros because of the Ceros's smaller size.

Thanks guys.

Taking the pad off makes no difference. Perhaps I'm pressing down hard, I'm not sure, I do apply at least enough pressure to keep it from skating away. Never enough to slow the sander down.

So far they've been unresponsive to email or phone, but it's been less than a day. I suppose I'll sent it back and see what happens. I bought it four years ago, so out of warranty for sure.

Happy ending to this story-- not so happy for the sander, though.

Finally found the correct customer service page for the US (it's not linked in any obvious way from the parent Mirka site) and returned the sander for service. They reported that the motor was dead and the sander shell broken somehow, $300+ to fix, as it was beyond the warranty period. After a little discussion they said they would "see what they could do".

Yesterday a box arrived containing a brand new sander! Apparently mine had been in sad shape for a while as the new one runs unbelievably smoothly.

Kudos to Mirka for customer service above and beyond! (now if they'd just fix their web site so it was easier to find...)

That is good news. I had a tine break on my sander that through it off balance and they took care of it under warranty. Have no idea how it broke, I treat it very well. Currently has hundreds of hours on it. Still on the original velcro pad, but that's going to change soon. I've had it's replacement for 2 years now.

Impressive customer service. Do you recall how long ago you bought it? That kind of story makes me think about looking at Mirka when it is time for me to buy again.

If you are a professional using their products they will really bend over backwards to treat you right. If you are a DIYer they'll treat you good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Impressive customer service. Do you recall how long ago you bought it? That kind of story makes me think about looking at Mirka when it is time for me to buy again.
    Jan 27, 2016