Thread: Grizzly 0632z tool rest

Grizzly 0632z tool rest

Still trying to get bugs worked out of new 0632z lathe. What are you using for bowl turning rests for the 25 mm diam post? Grizzly only has 2 styles . Is the answer drilling ba no to 1 inch?
    Thanks dlj

2. I have drilled out two Grizzly banjo’s to 1” Diameter. My former G0698 18/47 and one of my current lathes, the G0766, which now comes standard with the 1” hole. If you drill it out, [which is so simple with a 1” twist drill bit and some oil to lubricate the bit] it will give you the best range of options to use any 1” Standard aftermarket accessory, including rests, coring rigs, threading jigs, and any other accessory that comes with a 1” post. It only takes a couple minutes to drill out the hole....which is only about .004 enlargement. Best to use a drill press if you have one, but a hand held drill works well too. You can clamp the banjo to the drill press table, or just leave it on the bed of the lathe if you use a handheld drill. Have the bit slowly spinning as you enter the bit into the existing hole.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I almost made the mistake of ordering a 1" post from robust thinking it would work for a 25mm.....glad I caught that one. Roger, the twist drill bit idea is good. Wow, it would have been nice for Grizzly to place the 1" diameters in the new G0632Z when they shipped them out. Don't get me wrong, I love my new (and first) lathe.... but when considering that (IMHO) 90%+ aftermarket accessories will not fit, a more standardized version would have been a viable feature with a new product launch. Dave, Ill be interested on what solutions you find, and Ill do likewise. I wonder if Grizzly would be willing to assist...? maybe.

4. The G0632 has been made and marketed [as other brands for overseas markets - Asia, Europe, etc] for a number of years now. Grizzly would have to get the specs changed at the manufacturer, which would add some cost to their units. The modification is so easy, and allows for such a range of accessories here in America, that I don’t know why anyone would not go the route of drilling out the banjo hole. A lot less work and frustration in the long run than trying to find 25mm accessories, though some are available, but not near as many as the 1” accessories.

Once you get set up, it takes less than 2 minutes to do this mod......anyone who is fairly proficient in drilling a hole can easily do it!

Dave and Stark, just drill your banjos to 1" as Roger suggests. Very easy, and your OEM 25mm rests will still work fine. You'll then have more options as you add accessories.

If you don't have a 1" twist bit, it can be bought individually. But a whole set of Silver & Deming bits, with a case, is under $30 online, and you'll have it for other projects. Here's a current example:

https://www.amazon.com/Choice-8-Piec...s%2C152&sr=8-4

Note that bits that size have a 1/2" shank.

Thanks Roger. Looking at a couple solutions, one of which would be increasing the internal diameter of .4mm. No drill press available, so that leaves a hand drill as the only option. Im not sure how much the drill would grab? Once started, the process should go quickly. Getting the bit started is my only concern. Going slow, oil etc...should do it. Take care

7. Just have the bit turning slowly and some oil on it....that will get you started. I did my first one with a hand drill. Make sure the banjo is clamped tight to the bed.

Thank you kindly Sir!

Cast iron is easy to drill. Unlike steel it turns to powder as it's removed. But be careful of the dust. It's pretty abrasive so you don't want to blow it into your eyes by mistake or something else. Sucking up with a vac would be my suggestion.

To add to what others have said, it is best to drill it out using a drill press and use a vice or some way (wood clamps or C clamps) to firmly clamp the banjo. Then line up the drill bit above the banjo by turning the drill chuck by hand to ensure that it is centered and then clamp everything tight. I recommend starting with a "peck". That is, quickly lower the drill and take a peck at the top of the peck. The purpose of that is to keep it from self feeding or going off center. Whether you use oil or not is your option. Oil might be a safer way to do it, but technically with cast iron it isn't needed.

I found that when I finished the drilling that my 1.000" tool post was still an overly tight fit. That is not unusual that a 1" drill might drill a bit undersize when essentially used as a reamer (that is, taking off only a few thousandths). So, I took a dowel, slit it, stuck in a piece of sand paper (probably silicon carbide type) and with an electric drill ran the dowel around in the hole being careful to keep it moving. That helped to remove another thousandths or so. I kept doing this until it fit okay.

I read somewhere of someone using a coarser sandpaper on a dowel and using it instead of a Silver and Deming drill. So, that could be another alternative. I don't think that it is a particularly critical operation. Just use patience and good judgment.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 10-17-2019 at 1:21 AM.

Greatly appreciate the input guys. I did not even think about iron being as soft as it is. Should make it much easier. Take care

Taking a sec to say thanks to you guys for your suggestions. The 1" bit did a perfect fit for my Robust rest. Did a slow start with a little 3 in 1, took my time and wiped it out when finished. No burrs at all. It could not have worked out better. Thanks again!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Stark Suggs View Post
    Taking a sec to say thanks to you guys for your suggestions. The 1" bit did a perfect fit for my Robust rest. Did a slow start with a little 3 in 1, took my time and wiped it out when finished. No burrs at all. It could not have worked out better. Thanks again!
    Glad to hear it turned out well......you’ll never regret going this route, and have opened up a world of future options for yourself!