Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people here own a Festool Domino?

Triton has a product that does two dowel holes at once that is generally similar in appearance and application, but from the reviews it doesn't seem to be very well designed or built. Curious if anyone out there has tried one?

I imagine Festool has good patent protection on the Domino, otherwise I think there would be direct competition by now...

When does the patent run out? I imagine that when it does it will be like track saws a few years ago and Makita, Bosch, Dewalt et al will be stumbling over themselves to get one to market that is half the price. I love my Makita track saw. I imagine they could make a domino knockoff nicely, too.

I have the 500 and use it quite often. Frames, boxes , furniture...….it is so simple and so precise.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    When does the patent run out? I imagine that when it does it will be like track saws a few years ago and Makita, Bosch, Dewalt et al will be stumbling over themselves to get one to market that is half the price. I love my Makita track saw. I imagine they could make a domino knockoff nicely, too.
    I would imagine that they already have prototypes ready to go into production whenever legal gives the word.

Another very happy XL and Seneca small mortise kit owner. Love it. With the kit, you have all the options of both machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Another very happy XL and Seneca small mortise kit owner. Love it. With the kit, you have all the options of both machines.
    This thread has been dancing around in my head all week and once I sell this rifle I will have one or the other. I went into my local tool store looked at and handled the 5/700 yesterday. The 700 is a beast. The 500 is dainty by comparison. Do you find that the 700 actually handles well? I do build doors and tables on occasion so the 700 would be useful there. At the price it is not something I will buy twice and I lean toward the 700 but, damn, it is big!

Buy the tool that works best for 90% of its use, rather than a tool you need to compromise on for 100% of the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have owned both the 500 and 700. Judging by each camps response, you will probably Ben happy with either.

I am happy with the 700. It’s not too big even for small things. Rather, I was in situations frequently with the 500 where I could have used the additional depth, thickness, or offset that the 700 allows.

It’s not unwieldy if and when you want to make the daintiest of 5mm cuts. You should try to use it before making a choice.

Blog Entries
    I have two at work. Non at home. I'm happy without it at home..

If you spent 30 years using other means to build it's not missed.

I’ve owned a 500 for about 10 years. Great tool.

Blog Entries
    500 here. Useful for many things. Not a replacement for other joinery. Glad to have it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    This thread has been dancing around in my head all week and once I sell this rifle I will have one or the other. I went into my local tool store looked at and handled the 5/700 yesterday. The 700 is a beast. The 500 is dainty by comparison. Do you find that the 700 actually handles well? I do build doors and tables on occasion so the 700 would be useful there. At the price it is not something I will buy twice and I lean toward the 700 but, damn, it is big!
    Haven't really had any problems with handling the beast. It's not really something you normally have to handle in awkward positions, so if you are working on a bench and your work pieces are laid out with some thought, moving the machine from point to point is easy. I only wanted to buy once, so the 700 was the choice because it can do the job of both machines. Absolutely no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I have the 500. There are a couple of issues I need to work around:
    - I can not leave workpieces flat on the bench. (if I'm mortising on the edge, this wouldn't center on a 3/4" piece; if I'm mortising into the face near an edge, I wouldn't be able to register the fence against the edge)
    - The tool is butt-heavy, so easy to have it shift if not keeping firm pressure to align on the face+fence
    - keeping small pieces aligned is tough (most clamps will tend to get in the way of the domino's registration surfaces). Making your own alignment jigs may be the way to go here.

I don't know that they are any worse for the 700. I have the impression that it may be easier to keep the plunge aligned.

Matt

Thanks for all the input. I've decided that a domino is not in my immediate future but may be when I do the casework rebuild in my living room in a year or two.
    I bought myself a nice pair of blue spruce sliding bevels and two narrow butt chisels instead. I would be more inclined to spring for a domino if there were more overlap by between the two machines.

I'm going to be the jerk that says: "Wrong forum".