Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people here own a Festool Domino?

How many people here own a Festool Domino?

I am just curious. How many of you guys who enjoy using hand tools own a Festool Domino? I did a bunch of picture frames recently that would have been a lot quicker with loose tenons in the ends. It kind of gave me an itch for a Festool Domino. I have always balked at the price tag and the fact that they are based on proprietary cutters and consumables, but I am getting increasingly tempted.

To be clear, I am not a hand tool guy. I like hand tools. I like visible joints to be cut with hand tools and my finish surfaces are generally planed and scraped (not sanded), but my stock prep is all done with machines. I cut tenons with a dado stack or a band saw and I cut mortises with a hollow chisel mortiser unless I am working on a big piece that I cannot maneuver over m mortiser. My goal is always to work more with hand tools, but my shop time is limited to a couple of hours a week and sometimes I just want to get something done. That's where the domino might come in.

But for the price of one of them I could get a nice antique Norris smoothing plane or a set of Blue Spruce chisels...
    Last edited by Günter VögelBerg; 10-14-2019 at 5:51 PM.

I have the XL and the small mortise kit from Seneca. I do mostly power tool woodworking, but have and use hand tools when they are the best tool for the job. I went through many of the deliberations you allude to, but in the end, I get the most satisfaction from completing nice work. I have a lot of pieces I would like to build, and tools that help me do quality work faster make sense to me. I have no qualms about using dominos in place of traditional concealed mortise and tenons when doing so doesn't compromise the finished piece.

I have one and love it. It is versatile. It’s just another tool in the arsenal. I still do a lot of work by hand. I tend to use it on table bases

I have the non-XL and love it. To my mind, it's the only really unique Festool tool. I use it on just about every project I do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I did a bunch of picture frames recently that would have been a lot quicker with loose tenons in the ends. It kind of gave me an itch for a Festool Domino.
    There are many ways to assemble a picture frame. Dowels and a doweling jig (like the Stanley #59) are the forerunners of tailed tools to do this kind of work.

Otherwise bridal joints or lap joints also work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have one and love it!

I have an xl and use it a lot for doors, gates, and windows. It is a huge timesaver and makes very strong joints.

That's the other thing...I wish there were more overlap in the sizes. I think they smaller one would be more useful for me but I feel like if I am spending that much for a tool I would want to larger capacity.

I purchased the smaller 500 model a few years ago to aid in building frames for doors when I remodelled our kitchen. It was very useful. It has not been used since as one of the joys of woodworking is making traditional joinery. I keep imagining that there will be a use for it in the future - which I am sure there will. Just not there as yet. Ditto my Makita biscuit joiner (which is more helpful for reinforcing mitres as it has a shallower cut).

With regard sizes, I went for the 500 as it seemed to me to be medium furniture-sized. The large 700 appeared to be better suited to larger pieces, such as large table legs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the smaller (500) model and I use it on almost every project.

I have the had the 500 for approx 6 years and use it alot;
    Cabinet face frames, both frame joints and attachment to carcass box
    Interior and exterior window and door casing
    Jointing plywood panels
    Drawer joinery
    Basically any and every butt joint that is not part of a "fine furniture" project and there are times when a floating Domino is used on furniture.

My preference is to create hand tool joinery on furniture commissions but the market doesn't always support my desires. The Domino is one of the best purchases I have made in over 50 years of creating stuff made of wood and I highly recommend it. I would recommend the 500 as the 700 is a little too big for my old week hands and I can always double drill in the few instances that I need a stronger joint.

JMHO- Bill

I have the original model, I believe it is the 500 model. Before purchase I questioned the sales guy about both and was told the smaller unit is more useful for furniture and cabinet making. If you are making doors and large structural items, the larger (700) unit will allow for more robust loose tenons. I have really enjoyed the unit and am thinking of more ways to get the best use of it. You have to learn to work in metric, although Imperial spacing blocks are available, and may be a future purchase.

I also own a domino it’s a great tool.
    I also keep it under lock and key and my cute dog is all grown up. Just in case anyone is getting any crazy ideas.

Good Luck
    Aj

I have one (500) and occassionally use it, but have found a bit difficult to use in place of traditional joinery.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I wonder how much longer before there are competitors on the market?