Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I have tried both horizontal and vertical storage and finally settled on vertical, using floor flanges and pipe from Home Depot (HD). The only available wall space in my garage shop was bisected by a small mechanical room, so horizontal storage wouldn't work. I was loading my HD cart with short pipe lengths (longer than I really wanted) when the gentleman working the plumbing section asked what I was up to. He told me that he could cut and thread the exact length I wanted from longer lengths of pipe and save me $40 over the price of what I had in my cart! He had them all done in a few hours and texted me when they were ready. How's that for great customer service. I drilled and tapped the end caps to hold the chain keepers. In addition to being much easier to access the wood, vertical storage also accommodates the other long 'stuff' in the shop.
    Attachment 417932Attachment 417933Attachment 417934
    Another great idea- didn’t know HD did that.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I never have enough lumber on hand, to warrant a storage rack....20-40bf is about all I have, just enough for the project being worked on...
    Yeesh, I think the record for how long I've held a board is 23 years. I was waiting for it to speak to me. It turned out to be the silent type.

I should strive to be more economical with my stash storage...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I have tried both horizontal and vertical storage and finally settled on vertical, using floor flanges and pipe from Home Depot (HD). The only available wall space in my garage shop was bisected by a small mechanical room, so horizontal storage wouldn't work. I was loading my HD cart with short pipe lengths (longer than I really wanted) when the gentleman working the plumbing section asked what I was up to. He told me that he could cut and thread the exact length I wanted from longer lengths of pipe and save me $40 over the price of what I had in my cart! He had them all done in a few hours and texted me when they were ready. How's that for great customer service. I drilled and tapped the end caps to hold the chain keepers. In addition to being much easier to access the wood, vertical storage also accommodates the other long 'stuff' in the shop.
    Attachment 417932Attachment 417933Attachment 417934

Ted, that’s a sweet setup. I need check out how that might work for men.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I could build one for $49.

Was running out of Ash...road trip to buy a bit more....two 4/4 x 6 x8' planks are now standing against the wall in the dining room....that's 8bf..$10...pus the gallon of gas..meh

They can sit there until "called for"...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I don't think I could build one for $49.
    My recollection is mine took ten 2X4X8's and about thirty 1/4-20 nuts, bolts and washers.

It likely wasn't much over $49 if it was more.

One of the vertical racks against a wall could likely cost even less.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is what I built when I insulated and panelled my shop, shown is all 7/16 OSB.

Lumber Rack.jpg