Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good quality mobility bases?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Peck View Post
    Been wondering why no other manufacturer (at least that I'm aware of) makes a mobile base with 4 swivel casters. Most have 2 fixed and 2 swivel, which makes maneuvering the saw much more difficult. I think they could offer a version with a hydraulic lift system like SawStop's ICS base and a version without and have a couple of very competitive products.

Seems to me there would be a pretty good market for such. On the other hand, if I've thought of this then Grizzly or Bora or Rockler or whomever has no doubt thought of this--and they surely know the market better than I do.
    You're referring to the PortaMate 3550, which has four swiveling casters. One issue I have with it is ground clearance on uneven floors, which it has very little of. (The SawStop is much better in that respect.)

I don't have the issues that other people have with squirrely behavior, though, at least on my planer (600 pounds?) Ground clearance is a bigger issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jim, four swiveling casters can actually be harder to move and place, depending on what's on the mobile base and four makes for more difficulty in "locking things down" once the tool is where it needs to be and stationary for use. That's likely why it's customary for there to be two fixed and two swiveling with locks in most solutions. I actually tried using four on a couple of the tack trunks I build for folks and it was a major mistake requiring a retrofit for those customers. It was two "squirrely"..
    I regularly need to shift the table saw small amounts in one axis or the other, depending on what I'm doing. Only 2 swivelling casters would mean doing the back & forth shuffle, which would require moving one of the cars out. But it is definitely more squirrely to 'drive'.

Yes, it's kinda of a "pick your poison" thing, Frank...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, I'll look into the lot. I use a pallet jack on some of my other tools, might just do that on these saws to. Was looking for something premade, it aggravates me to buy $40 of base parts in a shiney box for $300 and have to assemble it myself anyhow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I've had a couple of the nylon-type wheels fail on me over time, so I've switched over to Shop Fox, steel wheel, extra heavy duty bases. I put one on my PM2000 and it's working great. Hope the wheels don't fail.
    I recently swapped the failing nylon/rubber (two component) wheels on my Shop Fox for the cast iron replacement wheels. The originals lasted about 15 years. The replacements were reasonably priced and roll great. The wheels that failed were the ones that always bear the weight, even when parked.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 on the Portamate 3500 & 3550. Also, the Grizzly Papa Bear heavy duty series is about equal to the 3500 but at a better price point.

If you want low cost then Harbor Freight has a mobile base for about $40, but you also need to make four 1.25" x 1.25" wood spacer pieces to fit your saw. Rockler has an all metal base PM2500 that's on sale at the moment that one step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I regularly need to shift the table saw small amounts in one axis or the other, depending on what I'm doing. Only 2 swivelling casters would mean doing the back & forth shuffle, which would require moving one of the cars out. But it is definitely more squirrely to 'drive'.
    I agree with this assessment. I've got many mobile stations and the 2 swivel/2 fixed is definitely the way to go for stability and ease of precise movement.
    David

In The Van.jpgHappy Owner.jpgHi Steve, I gave up on bases a long time ago and simply convert my machines to a semi-live skid design with a tow bar.

I have one tow bar for all the heavy machines.

The machines are easy to maneuver, and self lock in place when stationary.

Here's a photo of my brother and his band saw.

Note the spiffy streamers on the tow bar I made him, a real hit with his grandchildren................Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 10-16-2019 at 8:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    In The Van.jpgHappy Owner.jpgHi Steve, I gave up on bases a long time ago and simply convert my machines to a semi-live skid design with a tow bar.

Note the spiffy streamers on the tow bar I made him, a real hit with his grandchildren................Regards, Rod.
    Hi Rod, love the simplicity, I'm going to try that technique. Might even use the streamers!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Hi Rod, love the simplicity, I'm going to try that technique. Might even use the streamers!
    Pink are the fastest.................Rod.

Pink are the fastest.................Rod.
    Only if the grips have sparkles...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 I've had a few commercial mobile bases for various tools and sold them all. While all were solidly constructed, the lack of swivel wheels (especially the 3 wheeled variety) were a real PITA. I ended up building simple plywood bases (two sheets thick) with locking swivel casters for all my machines and I am much happier.

My old Delta contractor's saw had a mobile base like that (i.e., hook a lever handle in one end to raise and drag/push the unit). Likely because of the with of the saw base, which included the ~30" extension table, this was really awkward to move around. I can see it working better on tools with smaller bases like bandsaws.

I make all mine out of plywood and the casters off the $7.xx (on sale) HF furnature dollies. I have them under my delta bandsaw, my 450 lb delta 15 jointer, my 15" delta drill press, etc. - years now and all work fine. I'm a woodworker, I make them out of wood. Randy