Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred method of hanging dust collection pipe

That’s looking really nice so far Tom!

Check out ceiling wire

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Why do you have to put a screw through the pipe? I just made a loop with my pipe strap a screwd it to wall or celing
    I’ll echo this statement. Why are you putting screws into the pipe? I fastened one end of strapping to the joist with a screw then made a loop around the pipe and connected back to the strapping with a bolt and nut. In the OP’s case why not make a full loop around the beam (assuming its fully exposed, wasn’t clear on that).

Tom Dixon - what’s the box for around the horizontal duct on the floor?

Blog Entries
    Ever in search of sound reduction (I'm going deaf), rubber tie straps might reduce sound. They are cheap if you buy large bags and you could remove the usual metal hooks and use heavy tie straps run through the hole on each end to secure them somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’ll echo this statement. Why are you putting screws into the pipe? I fastened one end of strapping to the joist with a screw then made a loop around the pipe and connected back to the strapping with a bolt and nut. In the OP’s case why not make a full loop around the beam (assuming its fully exposed, wasn’t clear on that).

Tom Dixon - what’s the box for around the horizontal duct on the floor?
    What is that box for? To keep me from putting my foot down on the pipe and bending/crushing it, (I imagined stepping on it unconsciously so I fixed the potential issue before it became a problem. Makes an excellent foot rest now ). The box also provides some extra support under the pipe since it is 4 1/2 inches off the floor.

As for screws into pipe at the teardrop straps I'm not using any. The weight of the pipe holds it in place. The straps are bolted to the ceiling. I am using pop rivets at the connection points though. You can put a strap every 10 feet per spec, but you really need the connection points to be secure if you are using 5 foot pipe. Pop rivets are less likely to catch shavings and cause a clog than screws. Als needed to secure vertical hanging pipe.. The aluminum tape is more fragile than you might think and I would not trust it alone to keep the pipe together at the connection points.
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 10-17-2019 at 5:49 PM.

I only have a duct to the table saw installed so far, maybe 15 foot of 5 inch duct. I put it up with pipe clamps, however. My walls are waferboard so I just poked a hole in the strap of the clamp, screwed it to the wall, and then put the pipe in the clamp. Works fine. I got 10 or 15 of the clamps from Amazon for a buck or two apiece. Here's a link to some in 4 inch:
    https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Adj...sr=1-2-catcorr