Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred method of hanging dust collection pipe

Preferred method of hanging dust collection pipe

I am curious about your preferred method hanging dust pipe. I personally use HVAC pipe and fittings for my dust pipe but the same could apply to spiral pipe. I have a medium sized shop with odd dimensions roughly 100ft x 90ft and roughly 35 machines running off 4 different dust collectors. My ceiling/roof peaks in the center at 20ft tall and slopes down to 12ft on the right side and approx 16ft in the left. My ceiling has all red iron beams and no wood what so ever.

I had used 1.25” perforated metal strap in my last shop but wasn’t all that fond of it due to having to screw it directly into the pipe causing there to be a screw sticking out inside the lines. Even using very small screws I just wasn’t all that big on it. Most of my lines in my current shop need to be 12” for the trunk and have 6” drops.

I have been eyeing the tear drop hangers on dustpipe.com that use a single ibolt on the ceiling side with a 3/8” threaded rod going into the ibolt on the top and the tear drop hanger on the bottom. They are approx $15 each tor the 12” tear drop hanger and $1.33 for each ibolt.

I would need between 30 and 40 total so at $15 each that adds up but I think that it would likely be the best way of doing this. What do you guys use to hang your dust pipe and is there a better option that I might not be aware of?

I didn't use formal hangers...just really long electrical ties that loop around a narrow piece of scrap plywood that follows the path of the duct or to a screw eye into a joist, etc. I think that if I ever moved my shop to a new space (such as if we eventually downsize our property) I might use some nicer method for hanging the duct, but at the time what I did was expedient and inexpensive.

Given your situation with the beams, you'll pretty much need to use some method that allows you to clamp to said beams for whatever "hangers" you choose to use. Perhaps you can find raw components to work with, such as a clamp that can take threaded rod and then some kind of bracket you could put on the other end of the threaded rod that would allow you to use strapping or the heavy electrical tie wraps I mentioned. (they come in 24" that are about 3/8" or so wide)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-14-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just used pipe strap, a.k.a. roll-o-holes, plumbers tape. My main lines are 6" on a 3 hp cyclone, so I wasn't worried about extra screws here or there. I just make sure to put them in the sides and not the bottom. I was near at the ceiling, so I didn't have to worry about hang length or swaying though.

Why do you have to put a screw through the pipe? I just made a loop with my pipe strap a screwd it to wall or celing

Blog Entries
    You have a pro shop with pro needs. I would go with the pro pipe hangers. Do it right the first time. I have a hobby shop, 7" max duct size, I just used solid strap, bent to fit the pipe and pinch bolted at the top of the duct with a half twist at the top to screw to my joists.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-15-2019 at 9:53 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I use old serpentine belts from the local auto shop. with a wood screw in each end.
    Bil lD

In my shop I used 1/8'' steel cable and a product called cable clutchers. the cable goes through a screw eye hook on the ceiling and then wraps around the outside of my pipe and back through the "clutcher" They have a spring loaded pawl inside with a one way route for the cable to go through. You can release them with a little help from a set of needle nose pliers.I bought these at a local hvac distributor who also sold me all my spiral pipe.

I'm in the process of hanging my spiral pipe now. 8" main trunk and 6" to machines. I used the clamp type hangers for the main trunk since it gave a more rigid installation with two threaded rods and I'm using the teardrop hangers for the 6" spiral pipe. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Pipe1.jpg Pipe2.jpg Pipe3.jpg

Mostly used in the electrical field you could try the two piece unistrut clamps. All thread to the stat to support the pipe and the two piece to hold it, or unistrut to the ceiling and suspend it off the strut. Tom, that is nicely done.

I used extra long heavy duty zip ties. Simply screw a drywall screw through the zip tie into a ceiling joist or wall stud and wrap around the pipe. Works well and the pipe is pulled up tight to the ceiling. Plenty strong enough.

Dan, My shop is in my pole barn with a 12 foot ceiling. I screwed eye hooks into the bottom of the trusses and used small chain to from the hooks and down around the pipe leaving the bottom link open to be able to secure it back up to chain. Makes it easy to adjust the height (my pipe is about 3 foot from the ceiling). Not sure what kind of iron beams you have but maybe you could use beam clamps like this https://www.grainger.com/product/1RU...gnid=175663197. Even the box stores carry these type clamps. Many are designed for threaded rod but you could use a threaded eye hook and chain from there. This way you would not have to drill any holes and locating/relocating would be easy. Beam clamps, eye screws and small chain would be inexpensive.

No experience with dust collection system installation yet but this product came to mind with the pinch bolts Ole mentioned above . Comes in different gauges and it’s galvanized.
    A752B55F-395F-4EA4-A736-E2FAEB8C0A7A.jpg

Tom Dixon, just curious on the size and flow capabilities of your dust collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post
    Tom Dixon, just curious on the size and flow capabilities of your dust collector.
    It is a Grizzly G0442 - 5 HP Cyclone Dust Collector. There is a thread here about me lifting it in an exterior closet I built for it so the inlet is about 3 inches below ceiling height and so it doesn't consume valuable shop space. Then there is another thread here about questions around lifting sprial pipe up to a 10' ceiling and my solution. I'm still installing pipe. I'm about half done but I'm really pleased with the performance of the DC with the runs I have operational so far. I probably won't take time to make any flow measurements until I finish getting everything installed but it beats the heck out of the 2HP mobile DC I have been using.

Since I had a long weekend I took a break from installing pipe on Saturday for a little related woodworking.

pipe1.jpg pipe2.jpg pipe3.jpg

I made wooden cradles for my 8" pipe, and used roll a holes to fasten to the cradles.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-17-2019 at 2:27 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.