Thread: Foot peddle and drill

Foot peddle and drill

If I connect a sewing machine foot peddle control to a corded electric drill (and tie the trigger switch down. Will the foot peddle control the speed of the drill spinning? ( I need to paint a bunch of turned wooden parts and I can clamp the drill to the work bench top ) I figure they would be easier to paint if they would spin 4 or 5 rpm's in the process.

If you have a drill with a universal motor (AC/DC) (many corded drills do) then a sewing machine pedal control will probably work. There's a chance the drill may require more current than the pedal is designed for, which would likely damage the pedal, but if it's a small, light duty drill it will probably work.

It will have very little power at such low speeds; that may not be much of an issue for your use.

An alternative would be to make yourself a little turntable, like a potters wheel or lazy susan. That lets you spin the object slowly with good control.

Thank you. with a keyless chuck it would be easy to mount the pieces by the stem and hold them horizontally for painting. I suppose it is a matter of perspective and mine is probably skewed. I can't paint right when something is upright.Ido much better when the object is on it's side.

How about clamping two blocks of wood to the bench with a hole in each. Paint one side then turn by hand. If one block is heavy it won't need a clamp. You can change spindles quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    If I connect a sewing machine foot peddle control to a corded electric drill (and tie the trigger switch down. Will the foot peddle control the speed of the drill spinning? ( I need to paint a bunch of turned wooden parts and I can clamp the drill to the work bench top ) I figure they would be easier to paint if they would spin 4 or 5 rpm's in the process.
    Have you considered using the rotisery motor from your BBQ? It turns nice and slow and one can make wooden players with small square tenons to fit the arbor.

You could hand turn a Lazy Susan chair bearing by hand pretty easy. I use one in Ceramics class for working clay.

As a teen, (50 years ago), I used a rotisary motor to turn model paint bottles to stir them. just rubber banded them to shaft. A rubber cane foot on a piece of smallish radiator hose that fit in the foot and on the shaft could ride on the Susan.
    Would like to hear if you already cured the problem, as this is a couple years old.
    Woodclaver