Thread: plywood veneer delaminating

plywood veneer delaminating

I'm building some walnut cabinets with flat panel doors. I used 1/2" plywood for the panels and everything went well until I was about to put on some poly. There is some bubbling of the veneer on one panel on one of 11 doors. The bubble looks like it extends to the edge of the panel, but is trapped in the groove. The door already has BLO applied. I'm not sure whether it bubbled before or after this, but I think I would have noticed it.

Outside of more insulation in the shop walls, so that the neighbors don't hear me screaming, I'm looking for suggestions to fix this.
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Use a sharp knife to slice into the bubble. Slice at a flat angle. Work glue through the slice. A hypodermic needle is useful. You can buy them at woodworking places. Use a thin runny glue like epoxy or even solvent-borne varnish. Clamp with a flat caul assuring pressure all over the bubble. Use a plastic bag or packing tape to ensure that caul doesn’t get glued to the workpiece.

Investigate whether there is actually a ply underneath the veneer bubble. I had some really bad ply a few years ago where they ran the 0.1 mm thick top veneer right over voids in the next layer down. They bubbled up with the slightest moisture. I think I used the rest of that ply to make cement forms.

I would be surprised if you could get any glue to bond after linseed oil. I guess its worth a try.
    My first thought remake the door

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try sqeezing glue under.
    Andrew, I'm hoping you're wrong, but fearing you're not

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTorresani View Post
    I'm building some walnut cabinets with flat panel doors. I used 1/2" plywood for the panels and everything went well until I was about to put on some poly. There is some bubbling of the veneer on one panel on one of 11 doors. The bubble looks like it extends to the edge of the panel, but is trapped in the groove. The door already has BLO applied. I'm not sure whether it bubbled before or after this, but I think I would have noticed it.

Outside of more insulation in the shop walls, so that the neighbors don't hear me screaming, I'm looking for suggestions to fix this.
    Was it Purebond brand plywood? They are bad to not fill knot holes in the core veneers where the outer veneer is laid over a hole. You can't see it until you put a finish on and the veneer wrinkles up. When I have to use that brand I tap my fingernails all over the sheet looking for hollow spots before I buy the plywood.