Thread: Odie's Oil?

Odie's Oil?

Has anyone here used this product?

I had a chance to try some on a test piece at a friend's shop and am pretty impressed. It seemed to penetrate well, fill pores, and catalyze quickly. My friend who is using it in his business doing beautiful custom restaurant interiors has been super impressed so far, but is still fairly new to the product.

I have typically been using a cocktail of equal parts 100% tung oil, mineral spirits, and urethane varnish. I have applied it by rubbing it in with fingers gloved in blue nitrile. It is rubbed off after 15-20 minutes. I typically apply another coat per day until i am happy with the finish. My work pieces are small and i am happy with the finished results. I am not crazy about the smell and it does usually take a bunch of coats depending on the wood.

The piece of Mango i used as a test was finished with several coats as usual on one side. I applied one quick coat of Odie's on the other side. It took a small dab for the small (3" x 8") sample piece of mango. The oil had no bad smell and I didn't mind using bare fingers to rub it in. I rubbed it off after 45 minutes. The finish took a matter of seconds of work rubbing in followed by a quick buff off and looks just like the other side that took several days to do. If anything it looks better, but it is hard to distinguish between the two sides. Additionally it smelled good throughout the process and is claimed to be food safe.

The price seems high per ounce, but when you look at the price per coverage it is competitive. Not sure about shelf life once opened, but they sell an argon aerosol to keep it from oxygen exposure in storage.

I have an order in, but plan to do more testing before committing to switching over for work on customer jobs.

Have others seen a downside to this product that I am missing or ought to look at in my testing?

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oops, missed that one.

I like Odies Oil. It is an interesting product. I don't think it ever gets completely hard, as folks have noted. However, the waxes in the mix are very hard (likely shellac and/or carnuba wax). Personally, I use it for a "one-and-done" finish for carved spoons and cutting boards.

Apply it to the bare wood surface. Vigorously rub the finish into the surface - cross grain, with the grain, diagonal. Really work it into the pores. Leave the piece to soak in the oil for an hour or up to 12 hours (after that it gets too gummy). Then wipe the excess off and give the surface a light buffing with a soft cloth. Leave it alone for another 24 hours to harden. Buff again.