Thread: Finish for handscrew jaws?

Finish for handscrew jaws?

A neighbor has asked me to create some jaws for handscrew kits he came across. I'm wondering what would be the best finish for the jaws. I'm thinking maybe an oil/varnish mix, like Watco Teak? I'm using hard maple for the jaws.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I keep things simple for this kind of thing...BLO. I don't use film finishes on things like workbenches for the same reason I wouldn't do it on a cutting board. These surfaces (including the jaws of the vices) get used and abused and require reasonably frequent reconditioning. A simple drying oil makes that quick and easy while still helping to shred glue drips.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use this on cutting boards- should work well on your project. A little expensive but it is applied in very thin coats so it goes a long way.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks guys. I'll take your advice and use BLO. Mark, I found that Tried And True at Klingspoors for $13 / pint. Much lower than thru Amazon. Think I'll order dome of that.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll take your advice and use BLO. Mark, I found that Tried And True at Klingspoors for $13 / pint. Much lower than thru Amazon. Think I'll order dome of that.

Thanks!
    Brian- thanks for the heads-up! I had no idea Klingspors carried it.

Furniture wax

Furniture wax? clamps are supposed to grip, how about leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I keep things simple for this kind of thing...BLO. I don't use film finishes on things like workbenches for the same reason I wouldn't do it on a cutting board. These surfaces (including the jaws of the vices) get used and abused and require reasonably frequent reconditioning. A simple drying oil makes that quick and easy while still helping to shred glue drips.
    Not to thread jack but BLO is a recommended finish for work benches? The maple bench I bought from Benchcrafted is unfinished and has seasoned in my shop for 6 months or so now. I’m thinking it needs some sort of protective finish but wasn’t sure what made most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Not to thread jack but BLO is a recommended finish for work benches? The maple bench I bought from Benchcrafted is unfinished and has seasoned in my shop for 6 months or so now. I’m thinking it needs some sort of protective finish but wasn’t sure what made most sense.
    There are likely a lot of folks who wouldn't consider it, but for me, it's the go-to product. I'd never use a film finish on a bench top 'cause it's going to look like "you know what" very quickly from contact with tooling. The oil finish doesn't show the cuts as much, etc., and you can clean off the table, wipe on an application at the end of the day to refresh it and go back to work the next like nothing happened. But that's "my" opinion.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Furniture wax? clamps are supposed to grip, how about leather?
    We wax all our hand screws. They are not slippery, and with a hand screw it wouldnt matter if they were because they are clamping, not gripping on anything. Ive never had a hand screw slip ever and I use them almost daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Brian- thanks for the heads-up! I had no idea Klingspors carried it.
    Just a short followup - I see that Woodcraft has this for $22 / qt (w/o beeswax), which is a bit better unit price than the $13 / pt @ Klingspoors. I would prefer the smaller pint size, but Woodcraft is just across town for me, so that also saves the $8 shipping.
    Brian